Supporting & Caring for Transgender Children
More and more of us are hearing the stories of transgender children, and many people know a child in their community who may be transgender. It's natural to have questions about why families choose to affirm their child's gender identity—and how relatives, friends and community members can help. Supporting & Caring for Transgender Children is a groundbreaking resource that explains how families and healthcare professionals are helping transgender children thrive.
Supporting & Caring for Transgender Children was produced in partnership between the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians (ACOP). It reflects the experiences of expert clinicians, including pediatricians and mental health professionals—and features the families of transgender children from across the United States.
- Explains the difference between children who are gender-expansive and those who are transgender
- Outlines why experts, based on emerging scientific evidence, are embracing a "gender-affirming" approach
- Describes what it means to affirm a child's gender identity through "transition"
- "Debunks myths about transgender children and "gender-affirming" care
- Recommends steps that families and community members can take to support transgender and gender-expansive kids in their lives
For more information on HRC Foundation's work with trangsgender children and youth, click here.