Every year on National Coming Out Day, we celebrate coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ.) Today we mark the 31st anniversary of National Coming Out Day!
Thirty-one years ago, on the anniversary of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, we first observed National Coming Out Day as a reminder that one of our most basic tools is the power of coming out. One out of every two Americans has someone close to them who is gay or lesbian. For transgender people, that number is only one in 10.
Coming out - whether it is as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer - STILL MATTERS. When people know someone who is LGBTQ, they are far more likely to support equality under the law. Beyond that, our stories can be powerful to each other.
In honor of National Coming Out Day, HRC celebrates all who have come out as LGBTQ – that takes bravery, and we commend you. Every person who speaks up changes more hearts and minds, and creates new advocates for equality.
For more on coming out, visit HRC's Coming Out Center or check out the resources below.
Learn About Coming Out Day
Celebrities Come Out for Equality
Whether it's coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer, countless American actors, athletes, musicians and YouTube sensations have helped advance the movement for equality. In honor of National Coming Out Day, here are a few standout coming out moments in pop culture from the last year.
However you identify, HRC and its Coming Out project hope these guides and resources help you meet the challenges and opportunities that living openly offers to each of us.
Coming Out as Your True Identity
Family & Community
- Living Authentically as LGBTQ Latinx Americans
- Living Authentically as LGBTQ Asian and Pacific Islander Americans
- Being African American and LGBTQ
- Family and Coming Out Issues for Asian and Pacific Islanders
- Family and Coming Out Issues for Latinx people
- Talking to Grandparents and Other Adult Family Members
- Transitioning in School
Religion & Faith
- Coming Home to Evangelicalism and to Self
- Coming Home to Mormonism and to Self
- Coming Home to Judaism and to Self
- Coming Home to Islam and to Self
- Coming Home to Catholicism and to Self
- Coming Home: to Faith, to Spirit, to Self
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for Latinx People
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for African Americans
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for Asian and Pacific Islander Americans
- A Workplace Divided: Understanding the Climate for LGBTQ Workers Nationwide
- Coming Out at Work
- Coming Out in the Workplace as Transgender
Recursos en español