Direct Online and Phone Support Services for LGBTQ Youth
Feeling connected to peers through school groups and youth drop-in centers is crucial for LGBTQ young people. Sometimes, these places are the only chance for LGBTQ youth to fully be themselves and feel affirmed. When access to those programs and activities is limited or cut off, that can have a significant impact on their overall well-being. Here are some resources that LGBTQ youth and their parents/guardians can access online or by phone.
- The Trevor Project has several direct online resources specifically for LGBTQ youth:
- Trevor Lifeline is a crisis intervention and suicide prevention phone service available 24/7 at 1-866-488-7386.
- TrevorChat is a confidential online instant messaging with a Trevor Counselor, available 24/7, at trevorproject.org/get-help-now/.
- TrevorText is a confidential text messaging with a Trevor Counselor, available 24/7/365, by texting START to 678678.
- TrevorSpace is an affirming international community for LGBTQ young people ages 13-24 available at trevorspace.org
- Q Chat Space is a bully-free online community of LGBTQ teens that can chat with other LGBTQ teens and trained staff from LGBTQ centers around the country.
- Gender Spectrum Lounge is a global online community for gender-expansive teens, their families and support professionals to connect, collaborate and find resources.
- You can access the Gender Spectrum Lounge at genderspectrum.org/lounge
- National Runaway Safeline is a federally designated national communication system for runaway and homeless youth, availalbe 24/7/365, providing access to resources and listening professionals.
- You can call NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY or at 1800runaway.org
- The Validation Station is a free texting service that sends daily gender-affirming and uplifting text messages to trans and non-binary youth in lockdown.
- You can access The Validation Station at validationstation.net
- Trans Lifeline Hotline is a peer support service run by trans people located all over the US and Candada, for trans and questioning callers.
- You can call Trans Lifeline Hotline at 877-565-8860
- The LGBT National Help Center offers a talkline and weekly chatrooms for youth, providing confidential peer-support, information, local resources and community.
- You can call the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 800-246-7743
- You can access the Weekly Youth Chatrooms at glbthotline.org/youthchatrooms
- True Colors United has created an online COVID-19 Action & Resource center providing the most up-to-date resources for youth and adults experiencing homelesness. They include resources for folks working in the field, advocates making a difference, and young people looking for help.
- You can access the Action& Resource Center at truecolorsunited.org/coronavirus-action-resource-center/
- Many PFLAG chapters are meeting virtually or providing 1:1 virtual support as requested for parents/guardians or LGBTQ youth. Go to pflag.org/find to look up the PFLAG chapter in your area and reach out by phone, email or on social media to learn more about their virtual support options.