One of the most well known organizations fighting against LGBT equality has taken some rather extreme – and dangerous – public positions over the years
WASHINGTON – Earlier this week the Supreme Court declined to hear cases from five states challenging the constitutionality of state bans on marriage equality. This paved the way for those states – and maybe more in the near future – to begin allowing same-sex couples to legally marry. In response, Bryan Fischer, the Director of Issues Analysis at the American Family Association (AFA), compared the justices’ actions to those of a previous Supreme Court decision - Dred Scott v. Sandford. This statement is on par with many other shocking and deplorable positions taken by the organization over the years.
AFA bills itself as being “on the frontlines of America’s culture war” and “one of the largest and most effective pro-family organizations in the country.” Take a look at 10 “pro-family” statements and stances out of AFA:
1. AFA’s Bryan Fischer blames the Holocaust on LGBT people, stating, “Homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler, and homosexuals in the military gave us the Brown Shirts, the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews.”
2. AFA's Fischer has called for an “Underground Railroad” to take children from gay and lesbian parents.
3. Fischer has compared making criminalizing LGBT people with bans on murder, stealing, child molestation, delicious trans fats and prostitution.
4. AFA says God is going to use ISIS to punish America for being tolerant of LGBT people.
5. AFA supported the passage of Uganda’s deplorable anti-gay law, which calls for LGBT Ugandans or anyone “promoting” homosexuality to be jailed – potentially for life.
6. AFA thinks the Boy Scouts of America would be better off drowning in the sea than allowing LGBT Scouts.
7. AFA compares LGBT people to pedophiles and people who have sex with animals: "We should discriminate against unnatural and aberrant sexual behavior, whether pedophilia, bestiality, or homosexuality."
8. AFA thinks fewer students will commit suicide if adults tell young people it is wrong to be LGBT and help them to “choose” to be straight – a practice that has been condemned by every major medical and mental health organization in the country.
9. AFA thinks the NFL celebrating Michael Sam coming out as gay is the same as the NFL celebrating “a brain concussion.”
10. AFA supports criminalizing LGBT people and, when talking about punishment, asks, "Do you put them to death, do you lock 'em up...what do you do?"
For more information on the American Family Association and their anti-LGBT advocacy, click here.
The Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
To make a general inquiry, please visit our contact page. Members of the media can reach our press office at: (202) 572-8968 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.