The GRAMMY awards on Sunday are expected to be a big night for LGBTQ and allied artists.
Post submitted by Hayley Miller, former HRC Associate Director of Digital and Social
The GRAMMY awards on Sunday are expected to be a big night for LGBTQ and allied artists. The night will also feature several of our favorite performers, including Beyoncé, Lady Gaga and Demi Lovato.
Here’s who to look out for:
1. Sia, who identifies as queer, is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album.
2. Longtime HRC supporter Panic! At The Disco is nominated for Best Rock Album.
3. Queer icon Iggy Pop is nominated for Best Alternative Music Album.
4. Pentatonix and Dolly Parton are nominated for Best Country Duo / Group Performance. Parton is a longtime ally of the LGBTQ community, most recently speaking out against North Carolina’s anti-LGBTQ HB2. One member of Pentatonix, Mitch Grassi, is openly gay.
5. Openly bisexual comedian Margaret Cho is nominated for Best Comedy Album.
6. Tig Notaro, who married her wife in 2015, is also nominated for Best Comedy Album.
7. Kinky Boots is nominated for Best Musical Theater Album. Longtime HRC supporter Cyndi Lauper was the composer and lyricist for the Broadway hit.
8. The late David Bowie is nominated for Best Rock Performance, Best Alternative Music Album and Best Rock Song.
9. Vocal ally and HRC supporter Demi Lovato is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album.
10. Beyoncé, a longtime ally, has nine nominations, including Song of the Year, Album of the Year and Record of the Year.