With the most important election of our lifetimes a few short weeks away, HRC is exposing Wisconsin’s anti-equality candidates and highlighting their terrible records undermining LGBTQ rights and our community’s progress.
From fighting to ban marriage equality, to opposing critical protections for transgender youth, these candidates are a threat to our community and are dangerously out of step with the majority of Wisconsin voters who believe in equality, fairness and justice.
Here’s what you need to know about some of Wisconsin’s anti-equality candidates before you cast your ballot this November:
Scott Walker (Gubernatorial candidate)
- Opposed federal policy to allow transgender kids to use bathrooms that align with their gender identity
- Expressed support for Pence-era “license to discriminate” law in Indiana
- Is a “favourite” of Trump
Leah Vukmir (Senate candidate)
- Closely tied to some of the nation’s most virulently anti-LGBTQ organizations, such as the Family Research Council
- Supported a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage
- Pushed for a “license to discriminate” against LGBTQ people in healthcare
- Opposes Obamacare, which offers critical protections for LGBTQ people
- Says she “consistently stands” with Trump
Glenn Grothman (U.S. House candidate -- WI-6)
- Said same-sex relationships are “wrong”
- Said allowing transgender students to use bathrooms that align with their gender identity “ridiculous” and part of America’s “moral decline”
- Supported a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality and called same-sex marriage “illegal and immoral”
- Opposed Obamacare, which offers critical protections for LGBTQ people
It’s clear that these candidates do not represent the values of the fair-minded people of Wisconsin. HRC is committed to mobilizing Wisconsin’s voters in support of HRC-backed, pro-equality champions like Senator Tammy Baldwin, Tony Evers, and Dan Kohl who will fight for LGBTQ rights, and for the rights and welfare of all Wisconsinites. Join us today! Learn how you can cast your vote and check your voter registration status, volunteer with HRC and stay updated on HRC’s efforts in Wisconsin.
HRC has been on the ground in Wisconsin for more than a year as part of our coast-to-coast campaign called HRC Rising, which represents the largest grassroots expansion in the organization’s 38-year history. We’re mobilizing and organizing with so many amazing local HRC members, volunteers, and supporters to elect champions of equality in Wisconsin up and down the ballot. For more information on how to get involved and sign up to volunteer, visit HRC’s Equality Voter Action Center.