The Human Rights Campaign is America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ+ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ+ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
The Human Rights Campaign envisions a world where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people plus community members who use different language to describe identity are ensured equality and embraced as full members of society at home, at work, and in every community.
Communications & Digital Media Internship Teams:
HRC’s award-winning Video team illustrates the fight for lived and legal equality. We support the political, programmatic, and membership work of the organization, and convey the emotional weight of the struggle to the rest of the world. Our team:
- Produces work that reached almost 30 million viewers on social media in 2022 alone, and thousands more through dinners, television, and in-person events.
- Produces over 700 videos per year.
- Touches on political fights: SCOTUS, state legislative efforts, and federal hearings.
- Works with our events team to capture high-profile celebrities at our events.
- Partners with programmatic leads across the organization to film everything from health equity to school safety, to emerging transgender leaders.
We look for interns who can:
- Demonstrate a passion for and background in video production.
- Update and maintain archives and footage catalogue, including metadata.
- Caption and reformat videos for multiple social media platforms.
- Create captions and thumbnails for HRC’s YouTube page.
- Assist in producing video content, including pitching, writing, recording, editing, captioning, and delivering files.
Digital Marketing team:
HRC's Digital Communications team manages a wide variety of HRC's online properties, including www.HRC.org, associated microsites, and social media platforms. The Digital Marketing internship is an opportunity to gain valuable digital marketing experience and learn more about HRC’s award-winning digital and social media strategy. Some of the ongoing tasks for this internship include drafting language for various social platforms and scheduling content; researching LGBTQ-related trending topics; and assisting in the ideation and implementation of long-term social media campaigns. The Digital Marketing team is responsible for:
- Researching daily trends, stories, and relevant topics on social media and news outlets.
- Drafting social media language.
- Providing input to digital campaigns and subsequent rollout plans.
- Updating to HRC.org as needed.
- Posting timely and relevant content on online properties.
- Assist in editing and producing blog posts & measuring analytics
- Organizing and mapping content.
- Leading research projects to help create strategic digital plans and to update HRC databases.
The Communications team at the Human Rights Campaign spearheads the organization’s media relations, working alongside our other departments and programs in order to spread HRC's work and voice across the country. By creating strategic communications plans and engaging with reporters, the Communications team helps shape the messaging around the LGBTQ+ community and furthers the organization's mission to achieve full equity and equality for all. We also:
- Creates strategic communications plans for HRC's work and rapid response moments
- Drafts press releases, statements, quotes and media advisories and shares them with relevant stakeholders and reporters
- Monitors news outlets and social media to identify opportunities for engagement
- Pitches important HRC projects, launches, events and interviews with our spokespeople on relevant topics
- Maintains existing press contact databases and identifies new contacts to add to our lists
- Drafts speeches and other written content for executive staff
- Tracks press pick up on HRC and LGBTQ+ related news and catalogs press hits
Graphic Design team:
The Design team within the Brand & Creative department at the Human Rights Campaign is responsible for the organization’s print and digital design needs. Some ongoing tasks for this internship include researching photos/artwork for use in marketing collateral and publications, working closely with the design team to explore and execute creative solutions to elevate issues related to the LGBTQ+ community and reach broader, more diverse audiences. Some additional tasks include:
- Creating rapid-response graphics for social media
- Editing/updating existing designs for various projects
- Creating graphics for digital/print reports or the HRC website
- Creating or updating Canva templates for use across the organization
- Assisting in the organization of digital assets
We look for interns who have:
- Some proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and a willingness to learn
- Passion for HRC and the work we do
- Real-world professional experience with a content management system and back-end website maintenance
- Familiarization with rapid response marketing and communications
- Understanding of digital marketing and communications plans and execution of rollouts
- Development and improvement of various skills, including professional and social media writing and editing, communications and marketing strategy, and understanding of analytics
- Hands-on experience in non-profit communications and marketing work with a highly active and professional non-profit, including an insider’s view of professional media relations
- Expand understanding of issues and laws affecting the LGBTQ+ community
- Gain a better understanding of the political process of a non-profit
- Please visit our intern FAQs
- We strongly encourage people of color, transgender, and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ+ people, to join our team.