The Human Rights Campaign is America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
The Human Rights Campaign envisions a world where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people are ensured equality and embraced as full members of society at home, at work and in every community.
HRC's Digital Media and Marketing team manages a wide variety of HRC’s online properties, including www.HRC.org, associated microsites and social media channels.
The Communications Department is responsible for the organization’s media relations and message development.
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
- Monitor major news outlets, prepare daily clips for staff, and research stories and relevant topics on blogs and social media
- Assist in the drafting and uploading of HRC's daily tipsheet, #AM_Equality, talking points and other communications documents
- Maintain existing press contact databases and identify new contacts; pitch events to media
- Post timely and relevant content and updates on HRC.org and on other online properties
- Assist in drafting social media language for all of HRC’s social properties
- Lead research projects to help create strategic digital campaigns and enhance communications plans
- Professional writing, editing, proofreading and communications skills
- Strong copyediting skills, a strong command of English spelling and grammar; experience with AP style preferred
- Social media experience in a professional capacity (i.e. creating content and posting for a brand or organization)
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a fast-paced environment
- Majors in journalism, communications, English, public relations or related fields preferred
- Real world professional experience with a content management system and back-end website maintenance
- Familiarization with rapid response marketing and communications
- Understanding of digital marketing and communications plans and execution of rollouts
- Development and improvement of various skills, including professional and social media writing and editing, communications and marketing strategy and understanding analytics
- Hands-on experience in non-profit communications and marketing work with a highly active and professional non-profit, including an insider’s view of professional media relations
- Expand understanding of issues and laws affecting the LGBTQ community
- Gain a better understanding of the political process of a non-profit
- Resume, cover letter and writing samples should be presented in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please visit our intern FAQs
For any other questions, please email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Due to high volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to respond in a timely manner about individual application inquires.