Celebrate National Coming Out Day with HRC!
Every year on National Coming Out Day, we celebrate coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) or as an ally. On Oct. 11, 2018, we will mark the 30th anniversary of National Coming Out Day.
Nearly 30 years ago, on the anniversary of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, we first observed National Coming Out Day as a reminder that one of our most basic tools is the power of coming out. One out of every two Americans has someone close to them who is gay or lesbian. For transgender people, that number is only one in 10.
Coming out - whether it is as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or allied - STILL MATTERS. When people know someone who is LGBTQ, they are far more likely to support equality under the law. Beyond that, our stories can be powerful to each other.
In honor of National Coming Out Day, HRC honors all who have come out as LGBTQ or as a straight ally for equality – that takes bravery, and we commend you.
Every person who speaks up changes more hearts and minds, and creates new advocates for equality.
Watch HRC's National Coming Out Day 2017 video:
For more on coming out, visit HRC's Coming Out Center or check out the resources below.
Learn About Coming Out Day
Celebrities Come Out for Equality
Whether it's coming out as LGBTQ or as an ally, countless American actors, athletes, musicians and YouTube sensations have helped advance the movement for equality. In honor of National Coming Out Day, here are a few standout coming out moments in pop culture from the last year.
However you identify, HRC and its Coming Out project hope these guides and resources help you meet the challenges and opportunities that living openly offers to each of us:
- A Resource Guide to Coming Out
- A Resource Guide to Coming Out as Bisexual
- Transgender Visibility Guide: A Guide to Being You
- A Resource Guide to Coming Out for African Americans
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for African Americans
- Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
- Family and Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
- Coming Out to Your Doctor
- Coming Out at Work
- Coming Out at Work as Transgender
- Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
- Family and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
- Language and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
- Religion and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
- Guía de recursos para "salir del clóset"
- Guía de recursos para "salir del clóset" para personas bisexuales
- El “salir del clóset” en la comunidad latina
- Sobre "salir del clóset" y los temas familiares Latinx
- Temas de religión y de orientación sexual para Hispanos
- El lenguaje y los desafíos de “salir del clóset” en la comunidad Latinx
- Ser un(a) aliado(a) LGBTQ: Una guía de apoyo hacia personas lesbianas, gais, bisexuales, transgénero y queer
- Find other coming out guides and resources
Are You a Straight Ally?
Flip through or download HRC's Coming Out as a Straight Supporter to learn about the emotional spectrum that people typically feel after someone comes out to them and find easy ways to learn more and demonstrate your support for LGBTQ people and equality worldwide.
Watch Powerful Coming Out Stories
Moms for Transgender Equality
Dads for Transgender Equality