HRC's Workplace Equality is a national source of information on workplace policies and laws surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. It is home to the nation's most comprehensive, accurate and regularly updated database of corporate policies and workplace laws. The Workplace Equality works with large employers to bring LGBTQ-inclusive policies and programs to workplaces. Find out more about the Workplace Project here.
The Workplace Equality intern will be responsible for at least one long-term project that requires research and writing. Further responsibilities include:
- Answering or referring Workplace email and phone inquiries from managers, executives and employees across the United States
- Updating employer policies and benefits information in the Workplace database
- Researching LGBTQ-related policies at employers including the Fortune 1000, American Lawyer 200 top law firms
- Other administrative duties as needed
- Demonstrated interest in fair and equal treatment of LGBTQ Americans and a desire to learn about workplace and employment policies
- Professional writing and communication skills; a strong inclination towards research is necessary
- Basic proficiency in or willing to work with Lexis/Nexis
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint and/or web design skills a plus
- An understanding of the challenges faced by LGBTQ employees, particularly at those workplaces without inclusive policies
- Experience writing policy papers for a business-oriented audience, working with scarce information to define best workplace practices
- Demonstrated administrative skills that are applicable to entry-level employment
- This is an unpaid internship. A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on proven financial need and a commitment to diversity. Apply within the internship application
- School credit is available upon request
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, DC. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- Resume and cover letter must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer to our intern FAQs
- For any other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- No phone calls, please
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
Apply today! Application now available.