Within the LGBTQ community, transgender people face can face an exceptional degree of discomfort and bias, especially in healthcare. A large survey by Lambda Legal revealed that 70 percent of transgender respondents had experienced serious discrimination in healthcare. Fortunately, in addition to the work being done by HRC and many other organizations to end these discriminatory practices, there are many resources to help transgender and gender non-conforming people get the equitable care free from discrimination. Below are some of these resources for transgender patients.
Health Specific Resources
- GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBTQ Equality provides a list of the Top Ten Things Transgender Persons Should Discuss with Your Healthcare Provider, also available to download as a PDF.
- Visit the UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health website to get information about routine care, HIV prevention, mental health, community education, and more.
Insurance and Coverage
- Visit our page about transgender-inclusive benefits for employees and dependents to find insurance for transgender-related healthcare, question for employees to research before asking whether their insurance provides inclusive coverage, and more.
- Visit our page on the LGBTQ Community and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to learn more about your coverage options through the ACA.
- If your are enrolled in the VA healthcare system or are otherwise eligible for VA care, read the VHA Transgender Care and Intersex Directive for VA policies on care for transgender and intersex veterans.