Equal Benefits Ordinance: Los Angeles, Calif.
Passed in 1999
Effective in 2000
- Contracts that exceed $5000.
- Only applies to the businesses’ operations with the city. However, if the actual work related to the city contract is being performed in another state, the law applies. Also applies to city-owned property outside of the city;
- Does not apply to subcontractors.
Exceptions & Waivers
The Contractor Enforcement Section, the agency responsible for the law’s enforcement, can waive compliance if:
- Contract is responding to an emergency.
- The contact is for use of the city property and there is only one prospective contractor.
- The contract is for needed goods, services, construction of a public work or improvement that is available only from a single prospective contractor.
- The contract is for goods, a service or project that is essential to the city or city residents and there are no qualified responsive bidders.
- The contact involves a bulk purchasing arrangement.
- The contract is with a public entity.
- The EBO requirements are inconsistent with a grant or agreement with a public agency.
- The city is purchasing through a co-op or joint purchasing agreement.
- It is a specialized litigation contract.
The ordinance does not apply to:
- The investment of trust monies or bond proceeds;
- Other contracts involving city monies if certain conditions are met;
- Contracts for gifts to the city.
The Office of the City Administrative Officer, Contractor Enforcement Section is responsible for the enforcement of the ordinance.
If the contractor fails to comply with the ordinance:
- May be deemed as a material breach of contract;
- Awarding authority may cancel, terminate or suspend, in whole or in part, the contract;
- Monies due or to become due under the contract may be retained by the city until compliance is achieved;
- City may also pursue any and all other remedies at law.
Los Angeles Municipal Code§10.8.2.1
City of Los Angeles - Office of the City Adminstrative Officer
Contractor Enforcement Section
200 N. Main St., Room 1240
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 978-7650
Fax: (213) 978-7616