The Finance team at the Human Rights Campaign hopes to make every internship with our group a beneficial and satisfactory experience for both the intern and the staff. Each intern will rotate through a number of tasks to get a feel for the varied components of managing the finances of a large non-profit organization. In addition, Finance interns are encouraged to participate in opportunities to assist other programs and network throughout the organization, while supporting the broader mission of our organization.
The cyclical nature of the finance function, as well as the variety of intermediate- and long-term projects being undertaken at any time, result in a different experience for our interns each semester. Additionally, each intern brings their own strengths and interests to HRC. An internship with the Finance Department at HRC will include the opportunity to work on a number of these key tasks:
- Assist Accounts Payable with check runs to understand the process from receipt of a check request through payment
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and/or bank statements to ensure proper accountability of cash
- Process revenue, including preparing daily deposits, processing in-house charges and keying journal entries
- Review pledges receivable to identify accounts in need of follow-up
- Tracking of tasks in Outlook and MS Project
- Assist in drafting or reviewing procedures
- Ensure proper accounting for activities among three primary organizations
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Satisfactory completion of Principles of Accounting I and II and proficiency with Excel
- Develop a broad understanding of nonprofit accounting
- Apply accounting skills to real-life situations
- Become familiar with all major areas of the Finance Department, including revenue processing, accounts payable, account reconciliation, financial reporting, audit preparation and tax preparation
- Interact with other departments and learn how Finance supports the mission and programs of HRC
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
- This is an unpaid internship. A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on proven financial need and a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Apply within the internship application.
- School credit is available upon request.
- This internship is based out of our office in Washington, D.C. We cannot provide housing for our interns, however, please see our housing assistance list.
- Resume and cover letter should be provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer to our intern FAQs.
For any other questions, email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond in a timely manner to individual application inquiries.