Michele Bachmann: “I always say what I mean and mean what I say”
September 28, 2011 by Dan Rafter, Associate Director of Communications
In a recent fundraising e-mail, Michele Bachmann – who is struggling to remain relevant in the GOP presidential contest following the entry of Texas Governor Rick Perry – says “I do not waver on my conservative values and beliefs – I always say what I mean and mean what I say.”
Translation: Bachmann has absolutely no intention from distancing herself from some of her more shocking anti-gay statements, like when she said being gay was a “part of Satan.” Some of her other hits include:
- "Don’t misunderstand. I am not here bashing people who are homosexuals, who are lesbians, who are bisexual, who are transgender. We need to have profound compassion for people who are dealing with the very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life and sexual identity disorders."
- "If you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement."
- “And what a bizarre time we’re in … when a judge will say to little children that you can’t say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it.”
- With total sexual anarchy, which I believe we are now on the verge of going into, when the culture takes sexual anarchy and legalizes it, raises that to the level of legal protection, that is when governments can come in with wholesale discrimination..."
- “The sex curriculum will be essentially by taught by the local gay community.”
Divisive political figures like Michele Bachmann are advancing dangerous and outdated ideas that don’t reflect the values of mainstream Americans. We face very real challenges in the near future – the need to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, finally end DOMA, and tackling dangerous anti-gay rhetoric chief among them. But to continue achieving milestone victories like DADT repeal, we must collectively stand up and speak out against politicians like Michele Bachmann and her anti-gay cohorts. Learn more about how you can get involved at www.hrc.org/callitout.
Blog: Anti-LGBT Industry
March 4, 2014
Blog: Michele Bachmann
November 22, 2013
Blog: GOP Primary
June 25, 2012