- October 31, 2018
#TurnOUT -- JUST SIX DAYS UNTIL ELECTION DAY:
- Eight U.S. House candidates voted in support of abusive “conversion therapy.” “It’s appalling that these politicians would vote against protecting LGBTQ youth from the incredibly dangerous and discredited practice of so-called conversion therapy,” HRC Senior National Press Secretary Stephen Peters (@StephenPeters2) told INTO.
- Ahead of Election Day, HRC unveils new Facebook profile frame: More from HRC.
- Why Mike DeWine is wrong for Ohio. HRC is proud to support Richard Cordray for governor. More from My Dayton Daily News.
- Signs for New York U.S. Congressional candidate Perry Gershon defaced with anti-LGBTQ language. His response: “I am proud to stand with the LGBTQ community in fighting for equality.” More from News 12 Long Island.
- ICYMI -- Last night, HRC President Chad Griffin (@ChadHGriffin) joined LGBTQ and pro-equality voters in Oregon to re-elect Oregon Governor Kate Brown, the nation's first openly bisexual governor.
Tonight @HRC President @ChadHGriffin is in Portland for a #TurnOUT the Vote Phone Bank event to re-elect pro-equality Oregon Governor Kate Brown, the nation's first openly bisexual governor.— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) October 31, 2018
Make a plan to vote for @KateBrownForOR at https://t.co/qylBC7pPYk. pic.twitter.com/BI2zVF0zpc
- On Monday, Griffin joined LGBTQ and pro-equality voters in Pennsylvania to turn out the vote for HRC-endorsed candidates U.S. Senator Bob Casey and congressional candidate Mary Gay Scanlon (PA-5).
- HRC endorses Nancy Soderberg for U.S. Congress (FL-6). More from HRC.
If elected to Congress, @nancysoderberg would help advance the Equality Act and move #EqualityForward for LGBTQ people across the country. @HRC is proud to endorse Soderberg to represent #FL06. #FlaPol https://t.co/aea1WfMy8b pic.twitter.com/prL8pBBdkW— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) October 30, 2018
WHAT WE’RE READING WEDNESDAY -- NAACP AND HRC PRESIDENTS PEN OPED, “OUR DEMOCRACY IS ON THE LINE NEXT TUESDAY”: “The right to vote is the bedrock upon which this principle rests. It is the fundamental promise of our democracy. For more than 200 years, the story of our country has been a journey toward realizing a truer version of that promise,” write NAACP President Derrick Johnson (@DerrickNAACP) and HRC President Chad Griffin. More from CNN.
Across the country, there is a concerted effort to strip voting rights from marginalized Americans, especially people of color. Our democracy is on the line, and, in this election, we must answer the call to defend it. Read my joint op-ed w/ @DerrickNAACP: https://t.co/5UumSEw7tl— Chad Griffin (@ChadHGriffin) October 30, 2018
CALLS TO TRANS LIFELINE QUADRUPLED FOLLOWING TRUMP-PENCE MEMO LEAK: This heartbreaking news follows a report that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) intends to redefine “sex” to exclude LGBTQ people and their families from non-discrimination protections. More from Pink News.
- Trans equality at SCOTUS: Will the U.S. Supreme Court consider this dangerous memo when hearing a case about whether trans workers are protected under Title VII? More from The Hill.
“THE VICE PRESIDENT SHOULD KNOW BETTER” -- RABBI ON PENCE’S DISGRACEFUL RESPONSE TO PITTSBURGH: HRC spoke with openly gay Rabbi Gil Steinlauf, a member of HRC Foundation’s Religion Council, director of the Hineni Fellowship for LGBTQ Jewish Leadership and longtime faith leader in Washington, D.C., about the impact of Pence’s disgraceful appearance with Jacobs on our communities. Read Steinlauf’s comments at HRC.
- Meanwhile, NBC News reports that Pence’s “rabbi” was a double fake: “Loren Jacobs was stripped of his rabbinic ordination by the UMJC in 2003, after our judicial board found him guilty of libel,” according to a spokesperson for the Messianic movement. More from Corky Siemaszko (@csiemaszko) at NBC.
- Following Pittsburgh attack, renewed call to accurately report hate crimes to FBI: “The absence of rural data doesn't necessarily indicate that there's not a problem. It just indicates that we don't have the data,” HRC Associate Legal Director Robin Maril told Wyoming Public Media.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS STAR RESPONDS WITH HEARTWARMING MESSAGE TO CHILD BULLIED FOR WEARING NAIL POLISH TO SCHOOL:
"Stay strong, and do what makes you the happiest."— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) October 30, 2018
Thank you, @RobGronkowski, for supporting @DaddyFiles' son, Sam, who was bullied for wearing nail polish. Kids should be free to express themselves and challenge gender norms. https://t.co/gD9X5bb2uU
UPDATE -- LIBRARY ACCEPTING DONATIONS AFTER ANTI-LGBTQ EXTREMIST SETS FIRE TO LGBTQ BOOKS: Paul Dorr recorded himself destroying books with LGBTQ themes from the Orange City, Iowa, library. More form Miami Herald.
GLOBAL EQUALITY NEWS
READING RAINBOW - Bookmark now to read on your lunch break!
New Jersey 101.5 mourns local LGBTQ advocate Ricky Crosby; Forbes interviews Gay for Good National Director Anne Friedman; Atlanta Journal-Constitution profiles gay Marine Adam Tomblin; New Hampshire Public Radio previews two events on “Voting While Transgender” hosted by the ACLU of New Hampshire
Paid for by Human Rights Campaign PAC (www.hrc.org) and not authorized by any candidate or committee.