- February 11, 2019
5/5 We are thankful to the advocates on the ground, including @RAICESTEXAS and @TransLawCenter, who are working to ensure that these trans women are treated with the dignity, care and respect that all immigrants and asylum seekers deserve.— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) February 9, 2019
THERE IS AN EPIDEMIC OF VIOLENCE AGAINST TRANSGENDER WOMEN IN THIS COUNTRY:
- The Washington Post reports on the trial of two men accused of unleashing “sheer brutality” on the D.C. trans community, including fatally shooting Deeniquia “Dee Dee” Dodds, 22, in 2016. Prosecutors added hate crime enhancements to the charges against Cyheme Hall and Montee Tyree Johnson, saying the men targeted transgender women. Read Keith Alexander’s (@keithlalexander) report at The Washington Post.
- In West Hollywood, California, a transgender woman alleges she was assaulted by five men outside of a local LGBTQ bar. More from WEHOville.
- Students at a Memphis, Tennessee, high school allegedly threatened to murder a transgender student. Keloni Grand was followed by a group of boys who called her anti-LGBTQ slurs and threatened her with violence in what she says is increasingly violent bullying targeting her. More from Ebony.
- Charlotte, a transgender woman and friend of Roxsana Hernández, details her violent and dangerous experience traveling to the United States in the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Arizona State Superintendent Kathy Hoffman is calling for the repeal of the state’s dangerous and backward “don’t say gay” law, which bars teachers from affirming and supporting some of our most vulnerable students. More from The Hill.
- Anti-equality lawmakers in Tennessee have proposed a bill attacking marriage equality with language that goes so far as to say the Obergefell ruling “flies in the face of reality.” More from Fox 17 Nashville.
- Illinois lawmakers are seeking to require that public schools teach about LGBTQ history. Current law requires instruction about the history of people in categories protected under the state’s Human Rights Act.. More from Illinois News Network.
MORNING MUST READ -- “HIV ISN’T JUST A GAY ISSUE, IT’S A SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUE”: OUT Magazine’s Tre’vell Anderson (@TrevellAnderson) interviews writer and activist George M. Johnson (@IamGMJohnson) about his activism as a person living with HIV and the state of HIV advocacy. More from OUT Magazine.
TONIGHT IS PRIDE NIGHT AT THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS:
We are so inspired by the @Capitals support for the #LGBTQ community. Make sure you check out the 2019 @MSEFndn #PrideNight Auction benefiting @HRC Foundation.— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) February 10, 2019
�� #HockeyIsForEveryone �� https://t.co/OmwuHTik6E pic.twitter.com/nBljhMyMfy
FEDERAL COURTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY HAVE RULED THAT TITLE VII PROTECTS LGBTQ WORKERS -- FIFTH CIRCUIT IS EXCEPTION: More from Texas Lawbook.
BRONX COUNCIL MEMBER REFUSES TO APOLOGIZE FOR HOMOPHOBIC REMARKS: Bronx City Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. asserted on a radio show recently that the City Council is "controlled by the homosexual community." The council’s LGBTQ and Women’s Caucus have called on Diaz to resign. More at NY1.
LGBTQ POLICE OFFICERS FACE RISING TREND OF DISCRIMINATION, HARASSMENT: More from USA Today.
CALIFORNIA NATIONAL GUARD AFFIRMS TRANS TROOPS ARE WELCOME: “Service of state and nation should be open to everyone who wants to serve,” Major General Matthew Beevers said. Read more from Fox 40.
CONGRATULATIONS TO GRAMMY WINNERS! Including members of the LGBTQ family and allies Brandi Carlile (@BrandiCarlile), Benj Pesak (@benjpasek), St. Vincent (@st_vincent), Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) and Lady Gaga (@ladygaga).
GLOBAL EQUALITY NEWS
INDIA’S HISTORIC RESCISSION OF COLONIAL-ERA LAWS BANNING SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS WILL HELP REDUCE HIV RATES: Read more from Reuters.
READING RAINBOW - Bookmark now to read on your lunch break!
HuffPost reports on “Pose” star Dominique Jackson’s (@tyraaross) life and strong belief that trans lives matter; In wake of shooting of Candice Elease Pinky, the Houston Chronicle editorial board urges support for the trans community;