- April 12, 2019
HRC DENOUNCES UNCONSCIONABLE TRANS TROOP BAN ON DAY OF IMPLEMENTATION, RAISES TRANS FLAG AT HQ: “At this difficult moment for transgender service members and those wishing to serve their country, every transgender patriot should know that a grateful nation supports you,” said HRC National Press Secretary Sarah McBride (@SarahEMcBride). “The Trump-Pence transgender troop ban is dangerous for both transgender people and our national security, which is why a bipartisan chorus of members of Congress, leading military experts and overwhelming majorities of Americans oppose this despicable policy.”
- Tune in to MSNBC at 1:25 p.m. ET to see HRC’s Charlotte Clymer (@cmclymer) discuss the discriminatory ban.
Tomorrow, the President’s ban on transgender people serving their country goes into effect. This isn’t about budgets. It’s hatred. https://t.co/trWZuEFovM— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) April 12, 2019
WHY WE FIGHT FRIDAY -- MUST WATCH -- TRANSGENDER SERVICE MEMBERS JOIN THE VIEW TO DISCUSS TRUMP-PENCE TRANS TROOP BAN: Staff Sgt. Patricia King and Capt. Jennifer Peace spoke to The View about risks this ban poses, including systematic discrimination and the possibility that service members and their dependents will receive substandard medical care. More from ABC.
- The American Medical Association blasted the ban, saying: “The only thing deficient is any medical science behind this decision.” More from The Associated Press.
VICTORY! AZ STATE LEGISLATURE REPEALS BAN ON LGBTQ-INCLUSIVE EDUCATION: “All young people need and deserve curriculum that validates their identities and prepares them for health and success,” said HRC Arizona State Director Justin Unga (@justinunga). “This victory should serve as a reminder of what we can accomplish when we put Arizona students’ success ahead of politics.” Read more at HRC.
- Texas Senate Passes Bills That Would Gut LGBTQ-Inclusive Protections for Millions of Texans. “These harmful bills would gut the enforcement of the only protections that many LGBTQ Texans have,” said Rebecca Marques (@_RebeccaMarques), HRC Texas state director. Read more at HRC.
- Texas Rep. Julie Johnson (@juliejohnsonTX) introduces bill to increase access to lifesaving HIV & AIDS medication. More from HRC.
- TREND ALERT! More and more states stepping up to protect LGBTQ youth from so-called “conversion therapy” including the latest -- Massachusetts. More from Gay City News.
- Anti-equality lawmakers in Iowa are advancing a bill to change the way judges are selected as payback after pro-LGBTQ and pro-choice rulings. More from Mother Jones.
ILLINOIS’ MEDICAID PROGRAM TO COVER MEDICALLY-NECESSARY HEALTH CARE FOR TRANS PEOPLE: “Healthcare is a right, not a privilege, and I'm committed to ensuring our LGBTQ community and all Illinoisans have access to that right,” Governor J.B. Pritzker said in the statement. More from CBS.
TODAY ON THE ELLEN SHOW -- PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFUL PETE BUTTIGIEG TALKS ANTI-LGBTQ MIKE PENCE: “I’m not critical of his faith, I’m critical of bad policies. I don’t have a problem with religion -- I’m religious, too,” said Buttigieg, who is openly gay. “I have a problem with religion being used as a justification to harm people -- especially in the LGBTQ community.”
HISTORIC FIRSTS AS OKLAHOMA CITY & EAU CLAIRE, WIS., SWEAR IN FIRST OPENLY GAY COUNCILMAN & FIRST OPENLY TRANSGENDER COUNCIL MEMBER, RESPECTIVELY: More from Oklahoma’s News 4 and Eau Claire Leader Telegram.
RYAN MURPHY INVITES 500 LGBTQ TEENS TO SPECIAL VIEWING OF PLAY “THE PROM”: More from The New York Times.
GLOBAL EQUALITY NEWS
Brunei has begun implementing a heinous new law targeting #LGBTQ people & others with ���������� ���� ��������������. @realDonaldTrump, @Mike_Pence & @SecPompeo MUST condemn these atrocities and take every possible action to stop them. #EyesonBrunei https://t.co/LZ8RMdkXST— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) April 12, 2019
CAYMAN ISLANDS’ COURT OF APPEALS HALTS IMPLEMENTATION OF MARRIAGE EQUALITY: The government is appealing a March decision that found the country’s ban on marriage equality is unconstitutional. More from Gay Star News.
HISTORIC MOMENT IN ARMENIA AS TRANSGENDER ADVOCATE ADDRESSES PARLIAMENT: Lilit Martirosyan spoke to lawmakers about the violence and discrimination she has faced and called for members to pass laws to promote equality. More from Eurasianet.
- Since her historic speech, Martirosyan has received death threats, leading the United Nations, the European Union and local groups to express grave concern. More from Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty.
RUGBY AUSTRALIA TERMINATES PLAYER’S CONTRACT FOLLOWING MULTIPLE ANTI-LGBTQ COMMENTS: More from The Associated Press.
READING RAINBOW - Bookmark now to read on your lunch break!
The New York Times’ T Magazine publishes a play by Ted Malawer about love in a gay detention center.