- July 31, 2020
95 DAYS Trump’s relationship with the truth is tenuous at best. But yesterday, our nation started the day with truly dangerous disinformation via his favorite platform, and a chilling reminder of his fundamental disregard of democratic norms. For the LGBTQ community, this means we need to unite for equality, like never before, and vote on or before November 3rd.
- HRC President Alphonso David responds: “There appear to be no limits to his efforts to propagate lies about the safety of this election and distract us from his failed response to COVID-19, all in order to boost his own flailing campaign.”
- Combatting disinformation: With extremists like Donald Trump continuing to spread disinformation about the vote by mail process, it has become more important than ever to ensure that Equality Voters have accurate information to know how to cast their ballot. That’s why we’ve launched the Vote Equal, Vote Safe initiative.
- Let’s be clear: Trump is wrong on his facts, and taking our nation in the wrong direction. With three and a half years of relentess anti-LGBTQ attacks, we need to elect leaders up and down the ballot who will believe in the mission of equality for all.
- The United States is a democracy, and Donald Trump will not escape judgement on election day.
Donald Trump, we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. The election is scheduled for November per law. You do not have the power to change the date. Your desperate attempt to hold on to power is just that, desperate & dangerous. We will vote on or before November 3rd. https://t.co/3ymhonxMYs— Alphonso David (@AlphonsoDavid) July 30, 2020
HRC AND SHOWTIME ANNOUNCE QUEER TO STAY: AN LGBTQ BUSINESS PRESERVATION INITIATIVE: “We know that businesses like bars, restaurants and coffee shops often serve as affirming and welcoming spaces for LGBTQ people -- including young people who may not have supportive families or communities at home,” said HRC President Alphonso David. “With a global pandemic and its economic impact threatening to shut down queer spaces, it’s important that we support and preserve those that have provided a place for LGBTQ people to express ourselves freely, find community and be our authentic selves.”
- Learn more about how eligible businesses can apply here.
FRIDAY FEATURE -- HRC PRESIDENT ALPHONSO DAVID ON THE POWERFUL LAST ESSAY OF JOHN LEWIS: Read Lewis’ op-ed in The New York Times.
- HRC honored John Lewis’ legacy by spotlighting his book series, March, in the HRC Foundation’s Welcoming School Program’s list of resources for educators and youth-serving professionals to help foster an inclusive classroom and promote racial justice.
- “He’ll inspire people to make good trouble.” Watch this video of educators, community leaders and youth-serving professionals read from March in tribute to John Lewis.
HRC RESPONDS TO HOUSE PASSING AMENDMENT IN NDAA TO END BAN ON TRANSGENDER SERVICE MEMBERS: More from HRC.
- Three years after Trump tweeted out the ban on transgender service members, White House plans to stick to the discriminatory policy. More from the Washington Blade.
The Trump administration's transgender troop ban is unsound, unpopular & unpatriotic.— Human Rights Campaign (@HRC) July 30, 2020
Thank you to @RepSpeier for your leadership & the majority of the House who voted for this amendment to ensure all trans military service members have equal non-discrimination protections. https://t.co/wH1fkhtQ0w
HRC YOUTH AMBASSADOR NAKIYA LYNCH ON INTERSECTING IDENTITIES AND MENTAL HEALTH AND WELL-BEING: Lynch shared about the effect of limited visibility on the mental health of Black LGBTQ people and those with less privilege and visibility. More from HRC.
HRC PRESIDENT ALPHONSO DAVID RESPONDS TO ST. LOUIS COUNTY PROSECUTOR DECISION TO NOT CHARGE OFFICER WHO KILLED MICHAEL BROWN: More from The New York Times.
This decision reveals how woefully ill-prepared our justice system is for combating white supremacy. We must continue to protest, and we must continue to vote. My heart goes out to Michael Brown’s family, who have been denied justice yet again.https://t.co/zAsycRy0pc— Alphonso David (@AlphonsoDavid) July 30, 2020
TODAY -- WILLIAMS INSTITUTE TO HOST PANEL ON LGBTQ RIGHTS AND BOSTOCK DECISION: The panel, featuring HRC President Alphonso David, will examine the landmark decision and explore the implications for other state and federal non-discrimination laws. The virtual event will take place today at 12:00 p.m. PT. Attendees can register here.
HRC CALLS ON PENCE TO CONDEMN ALLEGHENY ACTIVISTS WHO CHANTED “KILL TRANSGEDERS”: “Pence traveling to Allegheny County for a “Cops for Trump” event just days after Trump supporters chanted ‘kill transgenders’ at a “Back the Blue” rally is a tacit endorsement of their transphobia,” said HRC Pennsylvania State Director Ryan Matthews. “At least 25 transgender or gender non-conforming people have been fatally shot or killed by other violent means so far in 2020, and Pence and these Trump supporters are goading further violence.” More from HRC.
2020 HAS BEEN ONE OF THE MOST DEADLY YEARS ON RECORD FOR TRANSGENDER AMERICANS: HRC reports that there have been at least 25 violent deaths of transgender or gender non-conforming people this year in the U.S. We say at least because too often these stories go unreported -- or misreported. More from NBC New York.
THE WASHINGTON POST SHARES FEATURE ON HOW PARENTS CAN SUPPORT THEIR NON-BINARY CHILDREN: More from The Washington Post.