Workplace Project Internship
HRC's Workplace Project is a national source of information on workplace policies and laws surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. It is home to the nation's most comprehensive, accurate and regularly updated database of corporate policies and workplace laws. The Workplace Project works with large employers to bring LGBT-inclusive policies and programs to workplaces. Find out more about the Workplace Project here.
The Workplace Project intern will be responsible for at least one long-term project that requires research and writing. Further responsibilities include:
- Answering or referring Workplace e-mail and phone inquiries from managers, executives and employees across the United States;
- Updating employer policies and benefits information in the Workplace database;
- Researching LGBT-related policies at employers including the Fortune 1000, American Lawyer 200 top law firms; and
- Other administrative duties as needed.
- Demonstrated interest in fair and equal treatment of LGBT Americans and a desire to learn about workplace and employment policies;
- Professional writing and communication skills; a strong inclination towards research is necessary (please submit a 2-5 page writing sample or excerpt with your application);
- Basic proficiency in or willing to work with Lexis/Nexis;
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel; and
- Microsoft PowerPoint and/or web design skills a plus.
- An understanding of the challenges faced by LGBT employees, particularly at those workplaces without inclusive policies;
- Experience writing policy papers for a business-oriented audience, working with scarce information to define best workplace practices; and
- Demonstrated administrative skills that are applicable to entry-level employment.
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All of our internships are based out of our offices in Washington, DC. We cannot provide housing for our interns.
- Resume and cover letters must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, email [email protected].
- No phone calls, please.
*PDFs require Adobe Acrobat. Download and install free Adobe Acrobat Reader