Publications & Magazine Internship
The Human Rights Campaign’s broad array of publications, including its flagship quarterly magazine is produced by the publications team in HRC’s Communications & Marketing Department. This internship focuses on publications and Equality magazine, offering an opportunity to learn all of the stages related to the production, writing and editing of various written materials including HRC’s quarterly magazine, Equality, and other key booklets and reports.
This internship consists of editorial work, in particular copyediting, research and writing, and working closely with the Publications Director on all print projects. Responsibilities will entail a mix of administration and substantive work experience, including:
- Copyediting, research, and some writing
- General research duties
- Other administrative duties as needed
- Majors in journalism, communications, English, public relations or related fields preferred
- Professional writing, editing, proofreading and communication skills
- Strong copyediting skills, a very strong command of English spelling and grammar; experience with AP style preferred
- Proficiency and experience with Lexis/Nexis and online research
- General computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Demonstrated interest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues
- Team player who is willing to pitch in and help out a definite plus — creativity welcome!
- Intern will gain hands-on experience in non-profit communications work, including an insider’s view of publications and magazines
- Intern will increase their professional writing, copyediting and editing skills
- Intern will expand their understanding of issues and laws affecting the LGBT community
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All of our internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. We cannot provide housing for our interns.
- Resume and cover letters must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, email [email protected].
- No phone calls, please.
*PDFs require Adobe Acrobat. Download and install free Adobe Acrobat Reader