Public Education and Outreach Division Internship
While the political arm of HRC advances LGBT rights in the legislative and political arenas, the HRC Foundation advances change in the organizations and institutions that affect our daily lives. Our programs in Workplace, Religion & Faith, Coming Out, Family and Youth & Campus Outreach are actively engaged in research, advocacy, training and outreach to end discrimination against LGBT people and their families. We are currently seeking an intern to assist HRC staff in the coordination of this division.
- Provide administrative support for the Associate of the Public Education and Outreach Division, including research, drafting correspondence, scheduling meetings, sending publications, arranging travel, etc.
- Write and edit regular newsletter-style updates, programmatic one-pagers, etc.
- Attend weekly Division meetings
- Help connect Division staff with counterparts in other HRC departments to ensure collaboration
- Work independently to complete various projects as assigned for each of the programs of the Public Education and Outreach Division
- Assist supervisor in managing the Coming Out Project
- Maintain inventory of publications
- Assist supervisor in ensuring the proper submission of financial forms to internal and external recipients
- Work with supervisor to develop a semester-long project with Public Education and Outreach program(s) of choice
- Enrollment in or graduation from an accredited college or university
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or interest in LGBT issues
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarization with the Public Education and Outreach Programs and how they function within HRC
- Ability to coordinate a multi-program department within a large non-profit organization
- Expanded understanding of the education programs and the grassroots organizing of the HRC Foundation.
- Administrative skills essential to any entry-level position
- Fine-tuned writing skills
- Communication skills
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not provide housing for our interns.
- Please send all resumes, cover letters and writing samples in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, e-mail [email protected].
- NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
*PDFs require Adobe Acrobat. Download and install free Adobe Acrobat Reader