The Human Rights Campaign’s Political Department consists of the Federal Legislative Team and HRC’s Political Action Committee. Political interns work with this team and assist with tracking legislation, researching voting records and statements of elected officials and sending correspondence to Capitol Hill. Political interns play a vital role in the success of the department.
Political interns will:
- Provide administrative support to Lobbying and PAC teams
- Assist in preparation of materials for lobby visits to Capitol Hill
- Research legislative issues such as hate crimes, HIV/AIDS, workplace discrimination and other issues paramount to LGBT equality
- Maintain congressional databases and update factsheets
- Assist with preparation of materials for twice annual Lobby Day
- Prepare and send correspondence, at times personally delivering it to Capitol Hill
- Attend briefings, hearings and HRC events
- Other support to the team as assigned
Intern qualifications include:
- Strong writing and communication skills
- General knowledge of the legislative process
- Enthusiasm and an interest in the role of policy advocacy and LGBT issues
- Strong research skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and Lexis Nexis
- Political interns will get an inside look at HRC’s legislative work
- Political interns will gain a deeper understanding of the legislative process
- Political interns will correspond with Capitol Hill offices and coalition partners
- Political interns will gain experience using research methods employed by political agencies
- Political interns will focus on and gain a better understanding of bills and laws that affect the LGBT community
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not provide housing for our interns.
- Please send all resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, e-mail [email protected].
- NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.