Major Gifts Program Intern
HRC's Major Gifts (also known as the Federal Club Council) program is responsible for identifying, recruiting and stewarding donors who give $5,000 and above annually to the HRC & the HRC Foundation. The Major Gifts program has more than 650 members who are committed to the cause of LGBT equality. This group of leaders is responsible for a significant portion of HRC’s budget, and funds the work of the HRC Foundation, which includes our Workplace Project, Family Project, Religion & Faith Program and Youth & Campus Outreach Program. The Major Gifts team works to make sure these committed individuals have a strong and lasting relationship with HRC. Please go to our website if you would like to learn more about our department.
The Major Gifts Intern will have these responsibilities:
- Stewarding donors, including preparing and mailing acknowledgments and welcome packages
- Maintaining the database, including creating and updating records and performing data integrity checks
- Prospect Research
- Other assistance as necessary
- Fall interns will assist with the logistics of the Major Donor events at the National Dinner
- Professional and responsible demeanor
- Interest in learning the details of Major Gifts fundraising
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel
- Database experience or is a plus
- Demonstrated interest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues
- Intern will gain an excellent overview of Major Gifts fundraising.
- Intern will observe how a Development & Membership department uses varied income streams to meet a multi-million dollar budget.
- Intern will understand how fundraising finances the political and educational work of a large LGBT rights organization.
- Intern will learn how issues in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community are messaged to high level donors.
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not provide housing for our interns.
- Please send all resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, e-mail [email protected].
- NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
*PDFs require Adobe Acrobat. Download and install free Adobe Acrobat Reader