think. grow. be. laugh. eat. imagine. connect. change. inspire. lead. INTERN.
Find your role in one of 25 program areas, ranging from political to development, communications to education.
- Gain valuable professional skills while developing your voice as an LGBT advocate and leader
- Play an active role in the nation’s largest LGBT equality organization
- Connect with some of the foremost LGBT and allied leaders through educational brown bag seminars and other events
Internship Semester Schedule
We offer Fall, Spring and Summer internships. General timelines are listed below. Each of these three internship semesters corresponds to the most widely-used academic calendar for college and university students. Please note that these dates are guidelines; interns and their respective supervisors will work to set a mutually acceptable start and end date.
- Fall: September – December (application available mid-June)
- Spring: January – April (application available mid-Oct)
- Summer: May – August (application available mid Feb)
Internship Application Deadlines
The Summer 2013 Online Internship Application is now open. The deadline to apply is Sunday, March 17. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis until all internships are filled. However, those applications received by March 17 will receive priority.
As a student or recent graduate it may be challenging to pay for daily expenses or basic living costs - especially if your internship will require you to move to the DC area. Needless to say, being an unpaid intern can be financially strenuous.
HRC internships are unpaid, but each intern will receive a modest, one-time travel stipend. As an HRC intern, you'll gain significant experiences, networking skills, and insight into potential career paths. Your time will be well spent as HRC relies on our interns to do substantial work.
Many universities have some sort of grant program for students taking unpaid internships. We encourage students to seek out these opportunities and to talk to their career center and financial aid office advisers for other financial aid opportunities.