The Finance team at the Human Rights Campaign hopes to make every internship with our group a beneficial and satisfactory experience for both the intern and the staff. Each intern will rotate through a number of tasks to get a feel for the varied components of managing the finances of a large non-profit organization. In addition, Finance interns are encouraged to participate in opportunities to assist other programs and network throughout the organization, while supporting the broader mission of our organization.
The cyclical nature of the finance function, as well as the variety of intermediate- and long-term projects being undertaken at any time, result in a different experience for our interns each semester. Additionally, each intern brings their own strengths and interests to HRC. An internship with the Finance Department at HRC will include the opportunity to work on a number of these key tasks:
- Assist Accounts Payable with check runs to understand the process from receipt of a check request through payment;
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and/or bank statements to ensure proper accountability of cash;
- Process revenue, including preparing daily deposits, processing in-house charges and keying journal entries;
- Review pledges receivable to identify accounts in need of follow-up;
- Tracking of tasks in Outlook and MS Project;
- Assist in drafting or reviewing procedures;
- Ensure proper accounting for activities among three primary organizations;
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Satisfactory completion of Principles of Accounting I and II and proficiency with Excel are required.
- Intern will develop a broad understanding of nonprofit accounting.
- Intern will apply accounting skills to real-life situations.
- Intern will become familiar with all major areas of the Finance Department, including revenue processing, accounts payable, account reconciliation, financial reporting, audit preparation, and tax preparation.
- Intern will interact with other departments and learn how Finance supports the mission and programs of HRC.
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not provide housing for our interns.
- Please send all resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, e-mail [email protected].
- NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
*PDFs require Adobe Acrobat. Download and install free Adobe Acrobat Reader