The Human Rights Campaign's Field Department engages in state and local advocacy and electoral work. The Field team at HRC works with advocacy groups and fair-minded legislators across the country to advance gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality at the state and local levels. The Field team tracks all legislative developments at the state level; provides legislative language and legal analysis; offers legislative, political, and electoral assistance; activates grassroots support for federal legislative priorities and endorsed candidates; and convenes meetings, conferences and trainings for activists and state LGBT leaders. HRC provides similar financial and staff support to ballot campaigns conducted to advance LGBT equality or to defeat anti-LGBT measures.
The Field team also identifies, organizes and mobilizes volunteers to meet face to face with elected officials, organizes voter registration drives, turns out the vote on Election Day, and organizes rallies, news conferences and town hall meetings nationwide.
- Engaging members in grassroots activism through multi-media outreach, management of Field inbox, and response to member inquiries
- Lobbying members of Congress and their staff on key legislation
- Electoral field work and volunteer recruitment
- Researching legislative and electoral issues
- Special Projects as needed
Other administrative duties as needed
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Willing to learn about state and federal legislation and elections
Basic proficiency in or willing to work with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel; proficiency in Power Point is a plus but not required
- Have a better understanding of the electoral, lobbying, and legislative process
- Correspond with a variety of members on a breadth of issues, developing strong correspondence skills
- Learn how to run a phone bank, how to run a lobby visit and how to write a field plan.
Expand their understanding of bills and laws affecting the LGBT community and the work HRC does in the states
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, DC. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- A limited number of housing scholarships are available for Summer 2014 interns – apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- For any other questions, e-mail email@example.com
- No phone calls, please