Canvass and Membership Internship
HRC Canvass & Membership Programs Intern
Do you want to have an internship that will keep you busy and enable you to make real, actual change? Then join our team as the Canvass Program & Direct Response Intern. You’ll have many opportunities for professional and personal growth, as well as, contribute to the fight for equality for LGBT Americans.
Note: You will not be asked to go out and solicit funds. You will not be canvassing. You will work alongside our full-time staff, assuring the quality of the donations that our canvassing firm partner, the Fund for the Public Interest (“the Fund”), brings in throughout the year.
No membership organization can be successful without a source of new members. Canvassing is HRC’s largest source of members, not to mention straight allies and monthly donors (known as “Partners”). Direct Response programs allow HRC to communicate directly with its members and are a fundamental component of fundraising. Be a part of the Canvass Team and complete special projects for the Direct Response Team, all the while learning how a non-profit works!
About the internship: The Canvass Program & Direct Response Intern will receive hands-on experience in a fast-paced fundraising world. From the first day, the intern will have crucial responsibilities, like assuring the timely receipt of donations, guaranteeing the integrity of HRC’s growing membership database, research projects, and other creative, special projects as they arise. The intern will also learn more about other parts of HRC through volunteer opportunities and group activities.
As the intern displays success in regular duties and shows the ability to multi-task, we will add additional projects. The Canvass Program & Direct Response Intern will have the opportunity to showcase their talents and build professional skills by:
- Ensuring quality control and management of donor information;
- Maintaining our current tracking process to ensure we receive donations in a timely manner;
- Assisting with the maintenance of membership accounts;
- Completing research projects for both Canvass and Direct Response;
- Working closely with HRC staff on new, creative projects to cultivate our donors and motivate our canvassers; and
- Other assistance as needed throughout the department and organization, such as working at board meetings and events.
- A solid introduction to the world of non-profit fundraising, particularly Canvass and Direct Response, and how fundraising finances the political and educational work of a large LGBT civil rights organization;
- Gain transferable database management, office, and interpersonal skills applicable to future employment opportunities;
- Observe how a membership department uses varied income streams to meet a multi-million dollar budget;
- Experience handling responsibilities in a high-energy environment; and
- Have the opportunity to learn the work of the Human Rights Campaign across all departments.
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to independently problem-solve;
- Ability to type quickly and accurately with proven skill to proofread own work;
- Moderate proficiency in Gmail and Microsoft Excel, with the ability to become adept at the use of these and other computer programs and databases;
- Willingness to learn the details of non-profit fundraising;
- Professional, responsible, and team-oriented manner;
- Basic customer service experience is preferable; and
- A passion for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equality is a plus.
* This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
* All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not provide housing for our interns.
* Please send all resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe
Acrobat (.pdf) format.
* For any other questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.