Canvass and Membership Internship
HRC Canvass & Membership Programs Intern
Do you want to work where you can see real, tangible results? Then join our team as the
Canvass & Membership Programs Intern, where you’ll never be short on work
opportunities as you contribute to the fight for equality for LGBT Americans.
Note: You will not be asked to go out and solicit funds. You will not be canvassing.
Instead, you will work alongside our full-time staff, assuring the quality of the donations
that our partner, the Fund for the Public Interest (“the Fund”), brings in throughout the
Canvassing is HRC’s largest source of members to the organization, not to mention
straight allies and monthly donors (known as “Partners”). Once people join HRC
through the Canvass Program, they often communicate with us through the
Membership Program. Join these successful programs while learning about non-profit
fundraising and gaining real world experience!
About the internship: The Canvass & Membership Programs Intern will receive hands-on
experience in a fast-paced fundraising world. From the first day, the intern will have
crucial responsibilities such as assuring the timely receipt of donations, guaranteeing the
integrity of HRC’s growing membership database, communicating with members via
email, and creative projects as they arise. The intern will be able to learn more about
other parts of the organization through volunteer opportunities and group activities.
As the intern displays success in regular duties and shows the ability to multi-task, we will
add additional projects. The Canvass & Membership Programs Intern will have the
opportunity to showcase their skills and build a true professional presence by:
- Ensuring quality control and management of donor information;
- Maintaining our current tracking process to ensure we receive donations in a
- Assisting with the maintenance of membership accounts;
- Corresponding over email with general members;
- Working closely with HRC staff on new, creative projects to cultivate our
donors and motivate our canvassers; and
- Other assistance as needed throughout the department and organization, such as
lobby day planning/working.
- A solid introduction to the world of non-profit fundraising, particularly
canvass and membership and how fundraising finances the political and
educational work of a large LGBT civil rights organization;
- Gain transferable database management, office, and interpersonal skills
applicable to future employment opportunities;
- Observe how a membership department uses varied income streams to meet a
multi-million dollar budget;
- Experience handling responsibilities in a high-energy environment; and
- Have the opportunity to learn the work of the Human Rights Campaign across all
of our departments.
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to independently problem-solve;
- Ability to type quickly and accurately with proven skill to proofread own work;
- Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel, with the ability to become
adept at the use of these and other computer programs and databases;
- Willingness to learn the details of non-profit fundraising;
- Professional, responsible, and team-oriented manner;
- Basic customer service experience is preferable; and
- A passion for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equality is a plus.
* This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request.
* All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. HRC does not
provide housing for our interns. A limited number of housing scholarships are available for Summer 2014 interns – apply within the internship application
* Please send all resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe
Acrobat (.pdf) format.
* Please refer questions to our website, http://www.hrc.org/intern.
* For any other questions, email: email@example.com.