Canvass Program Internship
Want to work where you can see real, tangible results? Then join our team as the Canvass Program Intern, where you’ll hit the ground running on your first day working toward equality for LGBT Americans.
Note: You will not be asked to go out and solicit funds. You will not be canvassing. Instead, you will work alongside our full-time staff, assuring the quality of the donations that our partner, the Fund for the Public Interest (“the Fund”), brings in throughout the year.
Canvassing is HRC’s largest source of members to the organization, not to mention straight allies and monthly donors (known as “Partners”). Join this successful program while learning how non-profit fundraising works and gaining real world experience!
About the internship: The Canvass Program Intern will receive hands-on experience in a fast-paced fundraising world. From day one, she or he will have crucial responsibilities such as assuring the timely receipt of donations, guaranteeing the integrity of HRC’s growing membership database, and creative projects as they come up. The intern will also be able to learn more about other parts of the organization through volunteer opportunities and group activities.
As the intern grows into her/his position and shows the ability to succeed, we will add additional projects that will help the program reach new levels. The Canvass Program Intern will have the opportunity to showcase their skills and build a true professional presence by:
- Ensuring quality control and management of donor information
- Maintaining our current tracking process to ensure we receive donations in a timely manner
- Working closely with HRC staff on new, creative projects to cultivate and acknowledge our donors
Other assistance as needed throughout the department and organization, such as lobby day planning/working
- A solid introduction to the world of non-profit fundraising, particularly canvassing and monthly giving, and how fundraising finances the political and educational work of a large LGBT civil rights organization
- Gain transferable database management, office and interpersonal skills applicable to future employment opportunities
- Observe how a membership department uses varied income streams to meet a multi-million dollar budget
- Experience handling responsibilities in a high-energy environment
Have the opportunity to learn the work of the Human Rights Campaign across all of our departments
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to independently problem-solve
- Ability to type quickly and accurately with proven skill to proofread own work
- Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel, with the ability to become adept at the use of these and other computer programs and databases
- Willingness to learn the details of non-profit fundraising
- Professional, responsible and team-oriented manner
A passion for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality is a plus
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, D.C. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- Resume and cover letter must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- For any other questions, email [email protected]
- No phone calls, please