Transgender Inclusion: Start the Conversation
Here are some thought-provoking questions on transgender workplace inclusion.
These are not meant to “test” your knowledge but more to invite a dialogue and learning experience for everyone. You can use these to take a personal inventory of your experience with transgender inclusion – or as conversation starters with your ERG, D&I team or other work groups.
- How does our LGBTQ employee group or network specifically welcome transgender co-workers? Do we have openly transgender members? Planned programming specifically on transgender inclusion?
- What constitutes transgender allyship? Ask yourself this question or discuss on a group level. To go to a more personal level, ask your openly transgender friend exactly how you can be a good ally to them.
- If I witnessed a colleague being inappropriate to a transgender or gender non-conforming customer/client, I would_________________. If a colleague made an inappropriate comment or joke about a transgender or gender nonconforming co-worker (or transgender people, generally) in my presence, I would__________________.
- Imagine you are representing your company at a college job fair. How would you communicate your diversity & inclusion efforts – including efforts around transgender inclusion – to prospective applicants?
- My company actively engages with, or supports, the transgender community by _______________.
- Have our executives spoken specifically about transgender inclusion?
- What would it mean for the company to become more inclusive and open to transgender employees?
The Need to Speak Up is Clear:
Harsh Workplace Realities for Transgender People
According to HRC's 2014 workplace climate survey and report, The Cost of the Closet and the Rewards of Inclusion:
- 40% hear jokes about transgender people in the workplace.
- 42 % of transgender workers fear getting fired for disclosing who they are.
- 40% of transgender workers report "fear for personal safety" as a reason for not being open.
Visit us at www.HRC.org/Workplace to learn more and read our workplace climate reports.
Download our Transgender Inclusion Conversation Starters by clicking here.