HRC in New Jersey
On October 18, the New Jersey Supreme Court denied Governor Chris Christie’s request for a stay of a lower court ruling that civil marriage licenses be granted to same-sex couples. Marriages began in New Jersey on October 21.
The campaign to win marriage equality in the Garden State was years in the making. The Human Rights Campaign has been organizing in New Jersey around marriage for half a decade, and renewed work on the issue in New Jersey in 2009, mobilizing HRC’s 40,000 New Jersey members, supporters and allies to take action in support of marriage equality.
Highlights of HRC’s activities in New Jersey in 2013:
- Helped form New Jersey United for Marriage coalition campaign and served on the campaign’s board.
- HRC financial and staff contributions to New Jersey United for Marriage exceed $100,000, including:
- Financial contribution of $25,000 to New Jersey United for Marriage to support field organizing efforts.
- 256,286 HRC emails sent since 2009
- 7,819 conversations initiated by HRC members
- 5,400 NJ Actions taken by New Jersey United for Marriage
- 2,026 calls to priority legislators by New Jersey United for Marriage
Contributed five field staff who served as the Municipal Outreach Director, Deputy Field Director, Campus Outreach Director, Regional Field Director and Field Organizer
Municipal Outreach Director helped to win city and county level resolutions of support for marriage equality.
- Red Bank
- Union County
- Essex County
- North Brunswick
- Asbury Park
- Lake Como
- Deputy Field Director helped manage 30 organizers across the state.
- Regional Field Director managed seven legislative districts.
- Campus Outreach Director managed statewide phone banks at university and college campuses across the state.
- Municipal Outreach Director helped to win city and county level resolutions of support for marriage equality.
Phone bank technology that allowed the campaign to host simultaneous phone banks at multiple locations in New Jersey directly connecting voters with their lawmakers.
“The Human Rights Campaign has been a true partner in our fight for marriage, and has stood with us every step of the way. They have always been the first to arrive when help is needed, and don’t leave until the work is done. It has been a pleasure working with HRC’s staff over the years.”
-Troy Stevenson, Executive Director, Garden State Equality
Download a PDF on HRC's work in New Jersey here.