Equality In The Stands
The excitement of championship sporting events has the ability to unite millions as they come together to cheer on their favorite athletes and teams. However, not all fans are able to equally partake in the game. LGBTQ fans are particularly at risk, as the chants and climate of major sporting events have historically marginalized those who many not conform to cultural and sporting norms for gender, sexuality, physical ability or appearance.
Eighty percent of spectators and athletes have witnessed anti-LGBTQ attitudes in sport. Where do anti-LGBTQ attidutes occur most often?
- 41% in the stands amongst fans
- 21% in physical education class
- 9% in professional sporting environments amongst players
- 8% in community sporting clubs
- 7% in extra-curricular school sports
- 3% in other