Resources on Gender Variance in Children
Organizations Focusing on Gender Nonconformity
Gender Spectrum provides community information and training on support for gender variant children and their families. Also of note is the Gender Spectrum Family Conference, an annual conference for people raising gender non-conforming, gender variant, and transgender children and adolescents.
Philadelphia Trans-Health Conference
This conference focuses on the specific issues, needs, and experiences of trans and gender-variant people with regard to the health of our bodies, lives, and communities. Everyone concerned about these issues is welcome to attend, including but not limited to: members of the trans and gender variant communities, partners, allies, family members, healthcare and social service providers.
TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA)
TYFA empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected. They have well trained advocates and provide resource assistance for families experiencing discrimination or other difficulties in schools or other environments.
Washington D.C. Children’s National Medical Center's Children's Gender and Sexuality Advocacy and Education Program
This program offers a variety of resources to support families with gender nonconforming children, including a national support network and a Parents’ Guide.
Information on Tolerance, Diversity and Gender Nonconformity
The Gay Straight Alliance Network
Gay-Straight Alliance Network is a youth leadership organization that connects school-based Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) to each other and community resources. Through peer support, leadership development, and training, GSA Network supports young people in starting, strengthening, and sustaining GSAs
Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network
GLSEN is the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for ALL students. They provide curriculum ideas and other links such as: No Name Calling Week
National Education Association
The NEA offers resources on GLBT diversity in schools including sample curricula and publications on GLBT issues in schools.
Operation Respect – Don’t Laugh at Me Program (DLAM)
This organization focuses on creating schools free of bullying, ridicule and violence. Resources include curriculum guides and CDs.
Run out of the Southern Poverty Law Center, this website offers suggestions for promoting respect and teaching about diversity in the classroom.
Media Articles on Gender Nonconformity
- The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals by Stephanie A. Brill & Rachel Pepper (Cleis Press) (2008)
- Guide: Raising a Gender-Variant Child, Contemporary Pediatrics (2005) [PDF]
- To the Beat of a Different Drummer: The Gender Variant Child, Modern Medicine (2005) [PDF]
Mainstream newspapers and magazines
- "My Pink Boy," San Francisco Gate (August 13, 2006)
- "When is it OK for boys to be girls, and girls to be boys?," San Francisco Gate (August 27, 2006)
- "Let Them Be," San Francisco Gate (April 8, 2007)
- "(Rethinking) Gender," Newsweek ( May 21, 2007)
- "Out Of The Shadows - Transgender Children" (March 2007) [Video]
- Kim Pearson of TYFA Interviewed on CNN Headline News (February 12, 2008) [Video]
- “Recording the Injustice”, Dallas Voice (May 19, 2011)
- “Transgender Teen Elected Prom Queen,” The Advocate (May 31, 2011)
- “Transgender Writer Share Here Powerful Journey to Womanhood,” NPR (June 3, 2011)
- “Boys Will Be Boys? Not in These Families,” New York Times (June 10, 2011)
- “When Parents Reject Their Transgender Child," Huffington Post (June 11, 2011)
- “New Broward Policy Offers Protection to Transgender Students,” Miami Herald (June 4, 2011)
Books for Children Ages 3 to 9
- Bateman, Teresa - The Bully Blockers
- Blackwood, Mary & Argent, Kerry - Derek the Knitting Dinosaur
- dePaola, Tomie - Oliver Button Is a Sissy [Available in Spanish]
- Ewert, Marcus and Rex, Ray - 10,000 Dresses
- Fox, Mem - The Straight Line Wonder & Fairy, Fairy Quite Contrary
- Fierstein, Harvey & Cole, Henry - The Sissy Duckling
- Hanks, Kevin - Chrysanthemum
- Hoffman, Mary - Amazing Grace
- Howes, James & Sweet, Melissa - Pinky and Rex & Pinky and Rex and the Bully
- Kilodavis, Cheryl - My Princess Boy
- Lum, Kate - Princesses Are Not Quitters
- McCain, Becky Ray - Nobody Knew What To Do
- Moss, Peggy & Lyon, Lea - Say Something
- Newman, Leslea & Ferguson, Peter - The Boy Who Cried Fabulous
- O’Connor, Jane - Fancy Nancy & Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
- O’Neil, Alexis - The Recess Queen
- Parnell, Peter - And Tango Makes 3 [Available in Spanish]
- Parr, Todd - It’s Okay to Be Different
- Scamell, Ragnhild & Reynolds, Adrian - Toby’s Doll’s House
- Shannon, David - A Bad Case of Stripes