HRC in Virginia
Thank you to the Human Rights Campaign for your support of my campaign. From your amazing team of eight organizers that worked every day over the last several months across Virginia to mobilize support for the statewide ticket to recruiting your membership in VA and DC to volunteer for the campaign, HRC made a difference in this election.”
— Virginia Governor-Elect Terry McAuliffe
This year HRC made it’s first-ever endorsement of a full statewide candidate ticket in Virginia. HRC was proud to endorse Terry McAuliffe for governor, Ralph Northam for lieutenant governor, and Mark Herring for attorney general. Each of these candidates spoke in support for LGBT rights during the campaign.
Highlights of HRC PAC’s Virginia activities:
$75,000 in-kind contributions from HRC PAC to the statewide candidates and Democratic Party of Virginia’s coordinated campaign including:
- Hiring Jamie Lockhart to serve as Virginia State Director and seven organizers to work out of field offices across the state.
- More than 30,000 supporters were invited to participate in a telephone town hall with Terry McAuliffe, HRC President Chad Griffin and Equality Virginia Executive Director James Parrish.
- Facebook and Twitter ads targeting Virginia voters.
- Weekly volunteer recruitment phone banks out of the HRC office.
- Two Days of Action in conjunction with the HRC DC Steering Committee that produced more than 30 volunteers to knock on doors.
- More than 10,000 phone calls to HRC supporters in Virginia.
Our team of volunteers and staff achieved the following results:
- 33,497 Volunteer recruitment phone calls
- 12,038 phone calls to VA and DC HRC supporters
Download a PDF of HRC's work in Virginia here.