HRC in Delaware
The fight to win marriage equality in Delaware has been years in the making. The Human Rights Campaign began working in the First State in 2009, providing critical financial and staff support to Equality Delaware for campaigns to prohibit discrimination and pass civil unions for same-sex couples.
Highlights of HRC’s Delaware activities:
- Provided early support for a new local advocacy organization, Equality Delaware, including seed funding and logo design.
- Total HRC financial and staff contributions in 2013 exceeded $160,000, including:
- Financial contribution of $76,000 to Equality Delaware.
- Senior Regional Field Organizer Karl Bach, who served as the campaign’s deputy field director and led efforts to identify and mobilize supporters of marriage equality through door-to-door canvassing, phone banks, and other innovative outreach methods.
- Managed a team of seven Equality Delaware organizers, was responsible for planning grassroots fundraising efforts across the state, and coordinated a letter-to-the-editor program that resulted in pro-equality letters in Delaware newspapers.
- Senior Regional Field Organizer Ryan Rowe, who led the campaign’s efforts to secure support from key African-American civic and religious leaders and oversaw the faith outreach aspects of the field program.
- Coordinated vocal support and legislative testimony for marriage equality from key Delaware faith leaders, Delaware NAACP leaders and NAACP National President Ben Jealous.
- State Legislative Director Sarah Warbelow, who provided key support in legislative strategy, including work to prepare lawmakers and witnesses for hearings on the bill in the state House and Senate.
- Director of Special Projects Kevin Nix, who helped develop the campaign’s communications strategy with Equality Delaware leaders and led media trainings for key surrogates.
- Phone bank technology that allowed the campaign to host simultaneous phone banks at multiple locations in Delaware directly connecting voters with their lawmakers.
- Sent emails to HRC members and supporters in the state since January 2013, totaling 28,953 messages sent, generating nearly 2,400 messages to legislators.
- Sent text messages to HRC members and supporters in the state, totaling 879 messages sent, generating 69 calls to legislators.
With support from HRC and other coalition partners, the Equality Delaware campaign achieved tremendous results:
Learn more about HRC’s work in Delaware here.