All Children - All Families: Agency External Communications
LGBTQ prospective parents are likely to conduct initial research to learn whether an organization might welcome them as adoptive or foster parents. To communicate an LGBTQ inclusive environment, agencies should review all visual and written materials representing their work, for opportunities to reflect and specifically address LGBTQ-headed families. External documents must also explicitly reflect the agency’s commitment to working with LGBTQ individuals and families.
These materials and documents include:
- Family photos on websites include LGBTQ family photos
- Non discrimination policy is inclusive and posted on agency website
- All printed/web content reflects inclusive language
- Collaboration with LGBTQ leaders and/or organization as recruitment partners
- Includes LGBTQ adoptive families as recruitment partners
Sample Outreach Materials:
- Adoptions Together, Silver Spring, MD, "LGBT Adoption"
Website section that includes information on the organization's welcoming history as well as frequently asked questions on LGBT adoption.
- The Home for Little Wanderers, Boston, MA, "Success Stories"
Features a story on the main page of the website about a single gay father and his adopted 10-year-old son.
- The National Adoption Center, Philadelphia, PA, "The Facts about LGBT Adoption"
Includes information about the center’s welcoming approach and new initiatives to connect LGBT prospective parents with welcoming agencies in the Delaware Valley.
- Adoptions From The Heart, Wynnewood, PA, "Love Makes A Family" Flyer
This flyer features a two-mom family and information on how to learn more about infant adoption.
- EMQ FamiliesFirst, Campbell, CA, "Every Child Deserves A Forever Home" Flyer
Features an image of two gay fathers with a child to illustrate that LGBTQ parents are welcomed to become forever families for children in California foster care who are waiting to be adopted.
- Five Acres Adoptive/Foster Family Agency, El Monte, CA, "Looking for Caring Resource Parents..." Flyer
Outreach flyer that includes information on classes offered to prospective foster and/or adoptive parents, making it clear that agency is "all inclusive" with "open arms to qualified people without discrimination of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion or ancestry."
- Forever Families Through Adoption Inc., Rye Brook, NY, "Forever Families Through Adoption (FFTA)" Brochure
Features non-discriminatory policies, including the commitment to treating all people with respect and compassion, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Little City Foundation, Chicago, IL, "Loving Parents Wanted" Flyer
Outreach flyer stating Little City Foundation's commitment to recruiting loving parents regardless of sexual orientation, gender identification, or gender expression.
- Los Angeles County Department of Children & Family Services, Pasadena, CA, "Become a Foster or Adoptive Mother" Outreach Material
Features an image of two foster/adoptive mothers and their daughter as well as a statement that Los Angeles County Department of Children & Family Services is reaching out to the Lesbian community to encourage family building through fostering and adoption.
- The National Adoption Center, Philadelphia, PA, "A Guide to LGBT Adoption" [PDF]
Incudes information on the National Adoption Center's initiative for the LGBT community and answers to frequently asked questions related to LGBT adoption.
- Project Patchwork, Inc., St. Petersburg, FL, "Family" Flyer
Outreach flyer including information on Project Patchwork's commitment to serving the LGBTQ community in Florida, featuring an image of two fathers and their children.