Phone: (202) 628-4160
Fax: (202) 347-5323
To contact HRC please visit our contact us page. If you are a member of the media, you can reach our press office at: (202) 572-8968 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 Things to Know about LGBT Issues
1. There are roughly 9 million LGBT people in the US and more than 650,000 same-sex couples.
2. 19% of same-sex couples are raising children according to the US Census Bureau's 2011 American Community Survey.
3. There is no federal law that consistently protects LGBT individuals from employment discrimination; there are no state laws in 29 states that explicitly prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, and in 32 states that do so based on gender identity.
4. More than 100 anti-LGBT bills have been filed in 29 state legislatures.
5. Marriage equality became the law of the land in June 2015 after the Supreme Court of the United States found bans on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional-and that the fundamenal right to marriage is a fundamental right for all.
- Learn more about us