Sort Press Releases
Phone: (202) 628-4160
Fax: (202) 347-5323
Top 5 Things to Know About LGBT Issues
- There are roughly 9 million LGBT people in the US and more than 650,000 same-sex couples.
- 19% of same-sex couples are raising children according to the US Census Bureau's 2011 American Community Survey.
- It is legal to fire people for their sexual orientation in 29 states and their gender identity in 32 states.
- Gay and lesbian couples can marry in 19 states (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington and Vermont) and Washington, DC.
- 59% of Americans support the equal right to marry for same-sex couples, according to a 2014 Washington Post-ABC News poll.