An amazing 24 hours: Round-up of NOM tour and marriage equality news
July 27, 2010,
By Adam Bink
Over at my home blog, OpenLeft.com, I often do a round-up of LGBT-related news and actions that are worth noting. I thought I'd bring the same feature here for some noteworthy items you may have missed:
- Coverage of Larry Adams sign and our interview with him is certainly making the rounds on the Web. I've seen it on The Advocate, Dallas Voice, LGBTPOV, San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, AMERICABlog, Towleroad, Think Progress, and elsewhere. If you haven't seen it, the interview is below.
- On that note, Freedom to Marry, a sponsor of NOM Tour Tracker, has a petition up calling on NOM to repudiate such anti-LGBT violence and rhetoric. You can sign here.
- As noted throughout the comments today, Louis (Hi, Louis!) Marinelli just made his blog private:
- EquallyWed.com, an online same-sex wedding magazine, discusses the tour and our coverage.
I think I speak for all of us, Louis, when I say my life just got about 0.23% less interesting. Sigh. We'll miss reading your musings, especially the one where you said a baby wasn't part of her family because she was adopted by a same-sex couple of a different race.
- Some independent coverage of today's rally in Madison over at WisPolitics.com, including this insult from a NOM speaker:
Among the speakers at the NOM rally were Madison Bishop Robert Morlino and Julaine Appling, CEO of the Wisconsin Family Council.
Appling thanked the NOM supporters for coming, saying \"you have real jobs, you have real lives.\"
- If Brian Brown wants to talk about harrassment and intimidation, perhaps he should ask his own supporters. Here's an equality supporter talking about her experience in Indianapolis yesterday.
- We didn't get many other videos up yesterday of rally coverage in Indianapolis, so here's one for folks to check out. As usual massive turnout #FAIL, and you can see that by how NOM always asks supporters to come closer so it looks like they have an actual crowd.
- HRC and Fred Sainz are spot on in their release regarding NOM today:
\"The bus tour is a total sham, plain and simple,\" said Fred Sainz, HRC's vice president of communications. \"NOM's highly-touted bus tour is less about so-called 'traditional marriage' and more about creating an elaborate and cynical stunt. NOM rolled out a summer of nationwide events in order to draw lawful protesters, all so that NOM and its allies can pepper ongoing lawsuits challenging public disclosure laws with made-up stories of harassment. This unprecedented victimization crusade is the lowest denominator of political activism, and it won't fly.\"
You can read the full release here.
We'll be reporting from St. Paul tomorrow. See you then.
Meanwhile, if you have any links, videos or photos to share with the community in the comments, post away!