State Laws and Legislation

West Virginia Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues

Issues a new or amended birth certificate? Yes.
West Virginia law provides generally for amendments to birth records. The State Registrar of Vital Statistics is authorized to amend a transsexual’s birth record upon receipt of a court order that the individual has had a legal name change and upon receipt of a physician’s notarized statement that the person named on the birth certificate has completed sex-reassignment surgery.

Citations: W. VA. CODE § 16-5-24; W. VA. CODE ST. R. § 64-32-6.

The legal information provided on this page is provided as a courtesy to the public. It is not designed to serve as legal advice. HRC does not warrant that this information is current or comprehensive.

Updated: Tue, March 13, 2007 - 11:00:18