State Laws and Legislation

Washington Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues

Issues a new or amended birth certificate? Yes.
Washington law provides generally that its birth registrants may make amendments to their birth records. It has been confirmed by the state Department of Health that a birth registrant’s sex may be changed after he or she has undergone sex-reassignment surgery and a legal name change takes place.


The legal information provided on this page is provided as a courtesy to the public. It is not designed to serve as legal advice. HRC does not warrant that this information is current or comprehensive.

Updated: Tue, March 13, 2007 - 11:00:40