State Laws and Legislation

South Carolina Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues

Issues a new or amended birth certificate? No
South Carolina law allows for the correction of birth certificates; however, new certificates are not issued to post-operative transsexuals. The state registrar of South Carolina will issue a card that can be attached to the old birth certificate indicating change of name and sex.

Citation: S.C. CODE ANN § 44-63-150.

The legal information provided on this page is provided as a courtesy to the public. It is not designed to serve as legal advice. HRC does not warrant that this information is current or comprehensive.

Last Updated: 3/26/2007  


Updated: Sun, March 25, 2007 - 11:00:52