State Laws and Legislation

Delaware Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues

Issues a new or amended birth certificate? Yes.
Delaware law permits transsexuals who were born in Delaware to amend their birth certificates and receive new birth certificates upon receipt of a court order which verifies that they have undergone sex-reassignment surgery and had a name change.

Citations: DEL. CODE ANN. TIT. 16, § 3131; CODE DEL. REGS. 40 700 049.

Updated: Thu, March 08, 2007 - 12:00:00