State Laws and Legislation

Arizona Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues

Issues a new or amended birth certificate? Yes.
Arizona law permits a individual who has undergone sex-reassignment surgery or who has a chromosomal count that establishes that the individual’s sex is different than the information registered on his or her birth certificate to amend the birth certificate with 1) a written request for an amended birth certificate from the individual and 2) a written statement by a physician that verifies the sex-reassignment operation or chromosomal count.

Citation: ARIZ. REV. STAT. § 36-337(A)(3).

Updated: Mon, March 26, 2007 - 11:00:12