The internship for the Human Resources Department at HRC consists of three main programmatic areas which include Recruitment, Employee and Labor Relations and Benefits. Upon completion of the internship it is our hope that the intern will have gained a working knowledge in each functional area. The breakdown of the internship is as follows:
The intern will participate in the full recruitment process which includes, entering resumes into database, screening resumes (KSA’s), creating recruitment files and filing away resumes, posting job descriptions, creating rejection letters, running mail merges, participating in recruitment meetings and coordinating new hire orientation. Interns will experience working with an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and work with HR on new social media recruitment tools.
The intern will have an opportunity to learn about the benefits that HRC offers its employees, what the philosophy of developing a benefits program and why benefits play a significant role when hiring and retaining staff. Intern may assist in enrollment activities.
The intern will be expected to demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity while exploring employee relation issues at HRC. The intern will work with the HR team on employee and manager issues and concerns which include; the intake of information, investigation (if needed) and documented summary. In addition to the above, the intern will be exposed to the union contract and its components and be able to answer the questions: why a union is needed and what are the benefits of union representation. The intern will also have a chance to work with the CONNECT and Wellness committees on planning and organization of company events.
- Majors in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business or related fields preferred
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel and Access is a plus
- Strong written and verbal skills required
Must be able to exercise sensitivity and confidentiality
- This is an unpaid internship. Credit is available upon request
- All internships are based out of our offices in Washington, DC. We cannot provide housing for our interns.
- A limited number of housing scholarships are available for Summer 2014 interns – apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- Please refer questions to our website.
- For any other questions, e-mail email@example.com.
- No phone calls, please