Information Technology Internship
The HRC IT department is responsible for ongoing support, and security of all IT functions within the organization. The internship program provides an opportunity to learn and enhance skills relating to the ongoing operations of an organization. Some examples of ongoing tasks include building and deploying images for desktops and laptops, onboarding of new personnel, managing active directory and GSuite, 3rd party applications, etc.
- Manage the Help Desk as the first level of support for HRC staff, consultants, interns and temporary employees.
- Provide support for hardware, peripherals, and network access, office productivity applications such as Microsoft Windows, Word, e-mail, and other software as assigned.
- Provide front line support for smartphone users, including initial setup of devices for new/existing users.
- Research various problems to provide appropriate responses to end users or departmental staff, be able to do troubleshooting and assist users through simple or detailed procedures.
- Monitor voice mail, e-mail, messages, and related information for support inquiries. Coordinate and maintain a log of request activities of the Help Desk, be able to prioritize service requests according to importance, i.e., emergency, immediate, high priority, moderate, general or suggestion.
- Provide administration of computer accounts and passwords.
- Manage hardware inventory and deployment of end user hardware, update supervisor of impending needs or concerns.
- Monitor for exploits aimed at specific software or hardware used by HRC.
- Attend one offsite Gala event for registration and auction checkout setup, teardown.
- Must be capable of lifting and carrying 20 lbs, for computer deployment and installation.
- Willingness to work in a team environment.
- Passion/interest in LGBTQ issues
- Attention to detail.
- Real world professional experience in computer science.
- Experience with a highly active and professional organization.
- Enhanced troubleshooting skills.
- Opportunity to learn the various work of the Human Rights Campaign.
- This is an unpaid internship. School credit is available upon request
- This internship is based out of our office in Washington, D.C. Internships are also available in HRC’s Project One America offices in Little Rock, Ark., Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala.
- We cannot provide housing for our interns
- A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on financial need and a commitment to diversity. Apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter should be provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond in a timely manner to individual application inquiries
- We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team