Human Resources Internship
The internship for the Human Resources Department at HRC consists of three main areas: Recruitment, Employee/Labor Relations and Benefits/HR Compliance. Upon completion of the internship it is our hope that the intern will have gained a working knowledge in each functional area. The breakdown of the internship is as follows:
RecruitmentThe intern will participate in the full recruitment process which includes entering resumes into an applicant tracking system (ATS), creating recruitment files, assisting with job postings/advertisement of open positions, observing recruitment meetings, and coordinating/observing new hire orientation. Interns will experience working with an applicant tracking system (ATS) and will work with HR on new social media recruitment tools. May attend recruitment fairs with other employees. Creates new employee packets and new intern packets. Updates forms as needed.
Benefits/HR ComplianceThe intern will have an opportunity to learn about the benefits that HRC offers its employees, the philosophy of developing a benefits program, and why benefits play a significant role when hiring and retaining staff. Intern may assist in preparing for a benefits fair. Escalates issues as needed to other members of the HR team. The intern will experience various aspects of HR compliance and record keeping for employees, such as required posters, maintaining and filing HR-related records in compliance with employment law, and keeping department records (paper and electronic) well organized and up-to-date.
The intern will be expected to demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity while exploring employee relations issues at HRC. The intern will be exposed to the union contract and its components. The intern will also have a chance to work with an internal committee on planning and organization of company events. Escalates issues as needed to other members of the HR team. Other duties as assigned.
- Majors in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business or related fields preferred
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Proficiency in data entry and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) required. Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive) preferred
- Strong written and verbal skills required
- Strong professional ethics and highest sensitivity in dealing with confidential information are required
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while prioritizing important issues
- Must be able to work on short- and long-term tasks and projects effectively
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to maintain composure and good judgment when dealing with deadlines, dissatisfied employees, or fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of or interest in LGBTQ issues is preferred. Sincere openness to learn about administering HR services to diverse groups of employees is required.
- This is an unpaid internship. School credit is available upon request
- This internship is based out of our office in Washington, D.C. Internships are also available in HRC’s Project One America offices in Little Rock, Ark., Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on financial need and a commitment to diversity. Apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter should be provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond in a timely manner to individual application inquiries
- We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team