Gala Events Internship
The HRC Gala Events Team produces 30 fundraising gala events each year. Featuring Hollywood and Broadway entertainers as well as national, state and local political figures, HRC’s Gala events are a primary mechanism for attracting new HRC members, supporters and volunteers, as well as raising funds to support the work of HRC.
Interns in the program assist Events Managers with administrative tasks and are included in planning meetings. Interns will also have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the behind-the-scenes aspects of event management, including everything from searching for LGBTQ-friendly celebrities in the news, to assisting with local events, to tracking income from each dinner. The position is perfectly suited for someone who would like to experience the creative side of community service.
The Gala Events Team Intern will have important ongoing projects assigned to them at the start of the internship, as well as many other day-to-day responsibilities including:
- Assisting with the logistics of 30 events, including shipping of auction items and supplies
- Preparing and sending “Thank You” letters for silent auction and live auction donors
- Researching potential celebrity guest speakers, honorees and performers
- Representing HRC by speaking to HRC members and Gala Dinner attendees about the purchases they made during a silent auction
- Working closely with Events Managers to organize, compare, record and track income
- Assisting the Event Managers with administrative duties and special projects as needed
- Summer and Fall interns will be expected to assist with the solicitation of National Dinner silent auction items and program book ads, including making in-store visits to past and potential donors
- Fall interns will work closely with Event Managers to prepare for the raffle that takes place during the National Dinner, including preparing and sending receipts to ticket purchasers
- Fall interns will attend the HRC National Dinner in October
- Spring interns will attend the HRC Equality Convention in March
- Professional and responsible manner with HRC Staff and volunteers
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel with the ability to become adept at the use of these and other computer programs, including Microsoft Access
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to prioritize many projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team and give input on both the logistical and creative sides of event planning
- Demonstrated interest in LGBTQ issues
- Experience in all aspects of producing and promoting gala events.
- Gain a better understanding of fundraising and donor stewardship.
- Gain knowledge of budgeting events and tracking revenue and expense performance.
- Gain administrative experience applicable to entry-level positions.
- This is an unpaid internship. School credit is available upon request
- This internship is based out of our office in Washington, D.C. Internships are also available in HRC’s Project One America offices in Little Rock, Ark., Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on financial need and a commitment to diversity. Apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter should be provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond in a timely manner to individual application inquiries
- We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBTQ persons to apply