Fundraising and Direct Marketing Internship
Do you want to work for the team that speaks to HRC’s more than 1.5 million members and supporters? Do you want to work for the team responsible for the largest portion of HRC’s annual budget? The Fundraising and Direct Marketing Internship will give you hands-on experience working with four crucial programs within HRC’s Membership Department. These programs are Direct Response (email, direct mail, and telemarketing), Member Services, Canvassing, and our monthly giving program (known as Partners). You’ll be a part of the incredibly important fight for equality for all LGBTQ people and enjoy numerous opportunities for professional and personal growth along the way!
Direct Response programs allows HRC to communicate directly with its members and are a fundamental component of fundraising. And no membership-based organization can be successful without a source of new members. Canvassing is HRC’s largest source of members and new Partners. The Partners program is responsible for identifying, recruiting, and stewarding donors who give monthly donations of less than $100 to HRC.
We will definitely keep you busy in our fast-paced world of fundraising! From day one, you will have vital responsibilities such as member correspondence, database work, creative projects, and guaranteeing the integrity of HRC’s ever growing membership database. You will also be given the opportunity to learn more about other teams in the organization through volunteer opportunities, informational sessions, and group activities.
Please note: our intern will not be responsible for soliciting money from donors.
As you display success in regular duties and show your ability to multi-task, we will add additional projects. As the Fundraising and Direct Marketing Intern, you will have the opportunity to showcase your talents and build professional skills by:
- Maintaining accurate data for more than 1.5 million members and supporters by ensuring quality control and management of donor information
- Corresponding regularly with donors to assist with questions, concerns, and requests
- Maintaining our current tracking process to ensure we receive donations in a timely manner
- Working closely with HRC staff on new, creative projects to cultivate our donors and motivate our canvassers
- Assuring quality control and management of pledge entry from a variety of sources including canvassing, online, and direct mail
- Fulfilling other projects as needed throughout the department and organization, such as working at board meetings, community events, or other programs where HRC is involved
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and ability to independently problem-solve
- Ability to type quickly and accurately with proven skill to proofread
- Moderate proficiency in Gmail, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel, with the interest to increase skills for these and other computer programs and databases
- Willingness to learn the details of non-profit fundraising
- Professional, responsible, and team-oriented manner
- Basic customer service experience is preferable
- A passion for LGBTQ equality is essential.
- A solid introduction to the world of non-profit fundraising and how fundraising finances the political and educational work of a large LGBTQ civil rights organization
- Gain transferable database management, office, and interpersonal skills applicable to future employment opportunities
- Observe how a membership department uses varied income streams to meet a multi-million dollar budget
- Experience handling competing responsibilities in a high-energy environment
- Opportunities to learn the multi-faceted work of the Human Rights Campaign across many departments
- This is an unpaid internship. School credit is available upon request
- This internship is based out of our office in Washington, D.C. Internships are also available in HRC’s Project One America offices in Little Rock, Ark., Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala. We cannot provide housing for our interns
- A limited amount of scholarship funds are available based on financial need and a commitment to diversity. Apply within the internship application
- Resume and cover letter should be provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format
- Please refer questions to our website
- For any other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org; No phone calls, please
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond in a timely manner to individual application inquiries
- We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBTQ persons to apply