The HRC Communities and Volunteer Relations Team supports 32 community committees made up of volunteer leaders across the country, acting as both an internal and external information conduit. Interns in the program assist the team with administrative tasks in support of our volunteers, and are included in team meetings and retreats. The intern reports directly to the Communities and Volunteer Relations Manager.
The HRC Communities and Volunteer Relations Team Intern will work independently on important ongoing projects, as well as many other daily responsibilities, including:
• Spring Interns finish preparing for Annual Planning meetings by creating and updating materials and procuring supplies.
• In collaboration with the HRC Communities and Volunteer Relations Staff provide support in preparing for the March Equality Convention.
• Assist staff with tasks as needed at the March Equality Convention
• Managing inventory, preparing materials, and handling shipments.
• Communicating with volunteers and supporting them in the field.
• Providing support, including administrative tasks, to the HRC Communities and Volunteer Relations staff, and occasionally staff from other program areas.
• Strong writing and communication skills required
• Ability to work independently and professionally in a dynamic work environment
• Volunteering experience strongly preferred
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Ability to work in an interactive team environment
• Basic knowledge of HTML
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
• Demonstrated interest in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues
• Gain an understanding of how HRC’s work in local communities affects change on a national level.
• Experience first-hand how a national non-profit organization is supported by a strong volunteer base.
• Learn how various tools and techniques work to attract and retain quality volunteers.
• Build a solid knowledge base around issues facing the LGBT community, and how these issues vary throughout the country.
• Gain valuable experience in a professional office environment.
• Part time (20 hrs/ week) or Full Time (40 hrs/ week).
• Normal business hours are from 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM.
• All of our internships are based out of our office in Washington, DC. We cannot provide housing for our interns.
A limited number of housing scholarships are available for Summer 2014 interns – apply within the internship application
• Resume and cover letters must be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
• Please apply and refer questions to our website, http://www.hrc.org/intern
. • For any other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• No phone calls, please.