Employment Non-Discrimination Act
HRC supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act for a very simple reason. It will guarantee millions of LGBT people in all 50 states explicit, reliable protections from discrimination in the workplace.
We call on our allies in Congress to improve this bill’s overly broad religious exemption. A strong ENDA is worth fighting for because we cannot ignore the urgent need of countless LGBT people who do not have the luxury of waiting for these protections.
- The Journey to Passing ENDA in the Senate
- Legislative Timeline
- Americans for Workplace Opportunity Coalition
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Myth vs. Fact
- Religious Exemption Fact Sheet
- Section by Section Explanation of the Bill
- Support from Civil Rights Groups
- ENDA Talking Points
- Stories of Discrimination
- Working in the Shadows (ACLU)
About LGBT Workplace Issues
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) would provide basic protections against workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. ENDA simply affords to all Americans basic employment protection from discrimination based on irrational prejudice. The bill explicitly prohibits preferential treatment and quotas and does not permit disparate impact suits. In addition, it exempts small businesses, religious organizations and the military.