- July 9, 2013
Post submitted by David McCabe, HRC Digital Media Intern
Almost two weeks after the Supreme Court ruled Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act to be unconstitutional, married same-sex couples are still trying to understand what the ruling means for them.
A group of LGBT organizations, including HRC, have put together a set of fact sheets covering several areas affected by the DOMA decision. They were updated last week — since federal agencies are still determining how they will implement the high court's ruling. Some of the fact sheets are also available in Spanish.
Resources in English
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act for Non-Federal Employees (FMLA)
- FSS Benefits and Protections for Civilian Federal Employees and Spouses
- Federal Taxes
- Social Security
- Veteran Spousal Benefits
- Military Spousal Benefits
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income for Aged, Blind, and Disabled (SSI)
- Private Employment
Resources en Español