- July 27, 2015
Last night, people across the country tuned in to watch the premiere of “I am Cait,” E! network’s documentary series on Caitlyn Jenner.
While Jenner spoke about her gender identity in April, the new docu-series follows Jenner as she comes out to her friends, family and the world.
Here are our top five favorite moments from the premiere:
1. Caitlyn’s Mother Meets Her for the First Time: In an emotional scene, Jenner’s mother, Esther, expresses her immense support and joy for her daughter. While she struggles to use the correct pronouns, it is clear that she is 100 percent behind her daughter.
"I was so proud of Bruce when he stood on that podium receiving that gold medal in Montreal,” Esther said. “I had tears and the American flag was going up in the middle and I thought that I could never be more proud of him. And you know, I was wrong. Because I am more proud of him for the courage that he has shown. I love him with all my heart and I certainly love her with all my heart."
2. Caitlyn Visits Family and Friends of Transgender Teen who Committed Suicide: Caitlyn traveled to San Diego to visit the family and friends of Kyler Prescott, a 14-year-old transgender boy who died by suicide in May. Caitlyn opened up about her own darkest moments and personal struggles with self-doubt and suicide.
"I know how these kids can feel. I've had some very dark moments in my life," Caitlyn admitted. "I've been in my house with a gun and said, 'Let's just end it right here.' No more pain, no more suffering. That struggle, it's real and I've been there."
3. Caitlyn’s Sleepless Night: One night, at 4:30 a.m., Caitlyn recorded a video of herself, documenting her endless worries and anxiety about coming out.
“It's like, 4:32 in the morning and I can't sleep," Caitlyn asked herself. "Am I going to do everything right? Am I going to say the right things? Do I project the right image? My mind's just spinning with thoughts. I just hope I get it right. I hope I get it right.”
4. Even Kanye West Recognizes Her Mass Achievement: Step son-in-law Kanye West and stepdaughter Kim Kardashian West visited Caitlyn, where they witnessed her new look together for the first time.
“I think this is one of the strongest things that have happened in our existence as human beings, that are so controlled by perception,” Kanye told Caitlyn.” You couldn't have been up against more."
5. Caitlyn Knows the Show Isn’t Just About Her: Countless times throughout the episode, Caitlyn recognized how she is raising the visibility of transgender people and issues facing the transgender community.
“There are so many people that have struggled with family, who’ve struggled with friends, who’ve struggled with ridicule or not having financial resources,” Caitlyn said.
While “I am Cait” is raising the bar on transgender visibility, the transgender community continues to face a variety of issues. For more information about the lives of transgender people in the U.S., visit hrc.org/transgender.